Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talwarsirav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
Every 10 to 15 minutes, the desktop of my new MBP freezes. I cannot click anything, nor can I open any new app. The only solution is to force shut down the MacBook and restart it to make it work again. Any solutions or similar experiences?

Reactions: Jermann

Dante256

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
Every 10 to 15 minutes, the desktop of my new MBP freezes. I cannot click anything, nor can I open any new app. The only solution is to force shut down the MacBook and restart it to make it work again. Any solutions or similar experiences?

I'm having exactly the same problem. It is infuriating

talwarsirav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
I emailed Mr. Tim Cook regarding this as well, I am yet to receive a reply after 3 days.
[doublepost=1483005715][/doublepost]
I'm having exactly the same problem. It is infuriating
I emailed Mr. Tim Cook regarding this as well, I am yet to receive a reply after 3 days.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
How about installing the os rather than waiting an email? And if that doesnt work, send the laptop back or replace it.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Are these issues in User Accounts that were migrated from an older model Mac?

In any case, try a new, test User Account to see if the issue exists. It won't take more than 10 or 15 minutes to find out if what you're saying is accurate.

Dante256

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
Two new is installs and still problematic. Freezing touch pad, and crashing Mac.

Replaced the unit yesterday at the Apple shop. and froze again today

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
It's most likely a software issue. Are you trying this with a totally clean install? I would take it back if so. It shouldn't be doing this.

diskotekblackbox

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2016
My 13" Touch MacBook Pro does the same, clean install, it begins with some of the icons being blank, and then I can't start new programs, but the ones that are open still functions

only way is to hold down the power button and reboot it

talwarsirav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
My 13" Touch MacBook Pro does the same, clean install, it begins with some of the icons being blank, and then I can't start new programs, but the ones that are open still functions

Whats the use of spending $2,000+ on a machine that needs to be rebooted frequently?
[doublepost=1483474693][/doublepost]
It's most likely a software issue. Are you trying this with a totally clean install? I would take it back if so. It shouldn't be doing this.
I did, to no avail.
[doublepost=1483474748][/doublepost]
Two new is installs and still problematic. Freezing touch pad, and crashing Mac.

Replaced the unit yesterday at the Apple shop. and froze again today
At least you were able to exchange it. Apple has a discriminatory policy of offering no exchange or returns in India.
[doublepost=1483474779][/doublepost]
Clean install macOS, after that if the issue appears again I suggest to exchange immediately.
Apple doesn't allow exchange in India, so much for diversity!!!
[doublepost=1483474877][/doublepost]I did some troubleshooting as per Mr. Federighi, who was kind enough to reply to my email. That did not solve the issue.
Soon after, I was assigned a technical expert and then a relations expert.

Like all relations expert, he sugarcoated "a no return policy" to me and asked me to adjust to this garbage they call MacBook Pro.

Playmbl

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2017
Unfortunately, it's common. Not hardware related, software issues. Here you have more info about users reporting this behavior and some solutions, till Apple fix the bug in coming macOS updates:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...uch-bar-freezing-ui-randomly-you-too.2025208/

https://discussions.apple.com/message/31138961?start=20&tstart=0

Introducing this commands in Terminal, to clean Finder's cache and doing maintenance tasks with Onyx afterwards, solved it permanently for me:

rm -fR ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.apple.finder.savedState ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.finder; killall Finder

mv ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder{,.backup}.plist; killall Finder

Other people just type the command "killall dock" to kill the dock when the problem appears. But they report the bug reproduces some time later. So, it's surprising to have to say this in such a expensive machine but... good luck with it! :)

Reactions: arthurvi

arthurvi

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2017
Having the same issue, about once a day. First the Downloads stack in the dock freezes, later the entire UI freezes (often after opening Mission control). The weird thing is that it is only the UI, the processes in the background continue to run.

Introducing this commands in Terminal, to clean Finder's cache and doing maintenance tasks with Onyx afterwards, solved it permanently for me:

rm -fR ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.apple.finder.savedState ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.finder; killall Finder

Tried these commands, I hope it all goes well now!

talwarsirav

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2016
Unfortunately, it's common. Not hardware related, software issues. Here you have more info about users reporting this behavior and some solutions, till Apple fix the bug in coming macOS updates:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...uch-bar-freezing-ui-randomly-you-too.2025208/

https://discussions.apple.com/message/31138961?start=20&tstart=0

Other people just type the command "killall dock" to kill the dock when the problem appears. But they report the bug reproduces some time later. So, it's surprising to have to say this in such a expensive machine but... good luck with it! :)
Thanks I have done that. Lets hope the problem doesn't repeat again.

nathanindc

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2017
have a loaded tb macbook pro purchased new from georgetown apple store in jan 2017. freezes up. usually when i am up against a deadline. no solution other than hard re boot even after 40 min call to apple support so expensive and so disappointing. going to return it in 6 hours

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
If you can be bothered, look through the Console (Applications > Utilities) and you may see some entries in there that can help pinpoint of this is hardware, software or maybe driver-related. (This was how I proved to Apple that my 2012 rMBP had consistent Intel GPU failures, and I got it swapped). If Apple truly offers no exchange or returns in India, well that really sucks :(

Olyduck

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2018
Olympia, Washington

Hi there- I also had multiple random freezes on my new 2018 13” MBP with touchbar. After I did a reinstall of High Sierra, prior to release of Mojave, the freezes appeared to have stopped. However, if you go to the Apple Support forums and do a search for “2018 13” MacBook Pro random freeze”, you’ll see over 100 posts dating back to about August 2018, from frustrated customers experiencing this issue.

The frustration was not only due the disruption of their work, but also with the apparent lack of any public statement from Apple about this issue. I have asked several online Mac related magazines to report on this issue, but have not seen anything yet. I posted an opionion in the Apple Support forum that Apple should exercise some corporate resposibibility and make some kind of statement, even if the problem solving is not yet completed, but Apple deleted my post, informing me that “it was not constructive”.

Some have posted that upgrading to Mojave stopped the freezes, while others report that the freezes have persisted post Mojave installation. There’s all sorts of conjecture about whether its a hardware or OS software issue, or perhaps high resource load or incompatibility with some app. Others are wondering about the new T2 chip.

The point is, Apple could issue some kind of statement about what’s up, so owners of these new (and expensive) machines are not left wondering if they will be stuck with an unsolvable hardware issue after their warrentee or Apple Care has expired.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

yunuzzz

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2016
Hi there- I also had multiple random freezes on my new 2018 13” MBP with touchbar. After I did a reinstall of High Sierra, prior to release of Mojave, the freezes appeared to have stopped. However, if you go to the Apple Support forums and do a search for “2018 13” MacBook Pro random freeze”, you’ll see over 100 posts dating back to about August 2018, from frustrated customers experiencing this issue.

The frustration was not only due the disruption of their work, but also with the apparent lack of any public statement from Apple about this issue. I have asked several online Mac related magazines to report on this issue, but have not seen anything yet. I posted an opionion in the Apple Support forum that Apple should exercise some corporate resposibibility and make some kind of statement, even if the problem solving is not yet completed, but Apple deleted my post, informing me that “it was not constructive”.

Some have posted that upgrading to Mojave stopped the freezes, while others report that the freezes have persisted post Mojave installation. There’s all sorts of conjecture about whether its a hardware or OS software issue, or perhaps high resource load or incompatibility with some app. Others are wondering about the new T2 chip.

The point is, Apple could issue some kind of statement about what’s up, so owners of these new (and expensive) machines are not left wondering if they will be stuck with an unsolvable hardware issue after their warrentee or Apple Care has expired.

Good luck to you.

I had a same issue today. My 2018 15" MacBook Pro with Mojave freezes and heats up randomly. Every opened apps crashes. Quitting apps not worked. Logging out or trying to shut down not worked. Heats up quickly when in idle. Even cpu usage was %0 the temperature rises above 90C. I hope its not hardware related.

So I decided to reinstall High Sierra. It's been 2-3 hours but everything seems normal for now.

david9991

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2019
I had a same issue today. My 2018 15" MacBook Pro with Mojave freezes and heats up randomly. Every opened apps crashes. Quitting apps not worked. Logging out or trying to shut down not worked. Heats up quickly when in idle. Even cpu usage was %0 the temperature rises above 90C. I hope its not hardware related.

So I decided to reinstall High Sierra. It's been 2-3 hours but everything seems normal for now.

Same issue here, MBP 2017 13'' (i5 dual-core). And I also have a Mac Mini 2012 (i7 quad-core), MBP 2014 15'' (i7 quad-core) always work smoothly, never freeze. I suppose it's an i5 CPU (e.g. Thermal Throttling) related issue. Does anyone have the same issue with an i7 CPU?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
[doublepost=1483005715][/doublepost]

Pretty sure he's the CEO, not tech support. I know it sounds crazy, but not really the same role.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.