Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdm4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
My 2014 macbook pro will not connect to mine (or anyone else's) iphone without damaging it by charging on and off rapidly. I have taken to the apple store and was told that it's just because the USB ports are too powerful on my version of macbook, am i correct in thinking that is bs?

Thank-you!
jdm4

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
My 2014 macbook pro will not connect to mine (or anyone else's) iphone without damaging it by charging on and off rapidly. I have taken to the apple store and was told that it's just because the USB ports are too powerful on my version of macbook, am i correct in thinking that is bs?

Thank-you!
jdm4
Yes its BS. It sounds like you have a faulty USB port on the Macbook pro.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Seeing as the 5.2V 2.4A 12W USB power adapter works fine with an iPhone, can't see a MBP giving more (I'd imagine the tech specs of the USB ports are known you just need to check the model on Google ).
Twice as fast charging as the charger in iPhone box when you buy it.

jdm4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
I have tried with various cords, and cords that don't work on my laptop work fine through other outlets.

I think I may just need to go back to Apple and be a bit more stern with them!

I appreciate the help guys.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Done the Random things like resetting PRAM, chekcing you're up to date for updates etc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.