Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denbjornen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2015
I own a late 2011 macbook pro that I've installed 8gb RAM, a 1TB hybrid drive, and a 250 disk drive (in the optical bay). I also have a BOOTCAMP partition on the hybrid drive that I use for engineering software and finite elemental analysis for work.

My problem is this:

A few weeks ago, google chrome started acting up. I only use two extensions: AdBlock and AutoHistory wipe. Chrome would work for a few minutes, then the search bar would stop working. I wouldn't be able to click on links, or even refresh the page. No loading circle, just no reaction. Chrome would not react to anything. When opening a new tab, all I would get is the sad face. Couldn't even access the settings. So then I tried to open firefox and safari, same thing. Can't use the address bar. Can't load any pages whatsoever.

The only thing that seemed to temporarily fix the problem was quitting chrome and restarting it. But even then, on launch it would tell me that "So and so" extension has crashed, and then I would experience the same issue. After a while, restarting chrome won't work at all. In fact, OSX won't even let me open chrome. It hits me with "Chrome.app cannot be opened" or some ********. Then to make things worse, it won't let me open Mail, Terminal, App Store, and other apps! Sometimes, however, terminal will open, and it will say something to the order of "-bash:fork resource temporarily unavailable" and I can't run any commands.

Typically I use terminal to solve the issue of apps not starting by running "sudo killall launchservicesd", however, this command is of no use if I can't run commands at all.

I've observed in the activity monitor (when this chain of events starts to happen) that a certain process called "postdrop" is running. Actually, hundreds of instances of this process are running. And i can't quit any of them because there are too many. I have searched online for what this process is and I haven't discovered any problems relating to it.

Now, I have no idea what this all means. My computer just seems to start acting up out of nowhere and I suspect foul play. I've ran Onyx's automation feature to get every aspect of my computer cleaned to no avail. Additionally, I've used MalwareBytes to no avail. It seems odd that all of these seemingly unrelated issues start happening all at once. The only thing that temporarily fixes these issues is restarting the laptop. But even then, I've only bought myself an hour or two of issue free computing time. I've consulted the interwebs for all of these different issues, but each one seems to have a different solution, and I have come to believe that these issues are somehow related. Has anybody experienced this issue or know how to fix it?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I wonder if the directory permissions some how got messed up. That would prevent apps from Bing able to run and might cause post drop to replicate. Have made any changes lately to folder permissions. Run any sudo commands.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I own a late 2011 macbook pro that I've installed 8gb RAM, a 1TB hybrid drive, and a 250 disk drive (in the optical bay). I also have a BOOTCAMP partition on the hybrid drive that I use for engineering software and finite elemental analysis for work.

My problem is this:

A few weeks ago, google chrome started acting up. I only use two extensions: AdBlock and AutoHistory wipe. Chrome would work for a few minutes, then the search bar would stop working. I wouldn't be able to click on links, or even refresh the page. No loading circle, just no reaction. Chrome would not react to anything. When opening a new tab, all I would get is the sad face. Couldn't even access the settings. So then I tried to open firefox and safari, same thing. Can't use the address bar. Can't load any pages whatsoever.

The only thing that seemed to temporarily fix the problem was quitting chrome and restarting it. But even then, on launch it would tell me that "So and so" extension has crashed, and then I would experience the same issue. After a while, restarting chrome won't work at all. In fact, OSX won't even let me open chrome. It hits me with "Chrome.app cannot be opened" or some ********. Then to make things worse, it won't let me open Mail, Terminal, App Store, and other apps! Sometimes, however, terminal will open, and it will say something to the order of "-bash:fork resource temporarily unavailable" and I can't run any commands.

Typically I use terminal to solve the issue of apps not starting by running "sudo killall launchservicesd", however, this command is of no use if I can't run commands at all.

I've observed in the activity monitor (when this chain of events starts to happen) that a certain process called "postdrop" is running. Actually, hundreds of instances of this process are running. And i can't quit any of them because there are too many. I have searched online for what this process is and I haven't discovered any problems relating to it.

Now, I have no idea what this all means. My computer just seems to start acting up out of nowhere and I suspect foul play. I've ran Onyx's automation feature to get every aspect of my computer cleaned to no avail. Additionally, I've used MalwareBytes to no avail. It seems odd that all of these seemingly unrelated issues start happening all at once. The only thing that temporarily fixes these issues is restarting the laptop. But even then, I've only bought myself an hour or two of issue free computing time. I've consulted the interwebs for all of these different issues, but each one seems to have a different solution, and I have come to believe that these issues are somehow related. Has anybody experienced this issue or know how to fix it?

Reinstall OS X and start again, or return to a back up point before the issues.

denbjornen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2015
I wonder if the directory permissions some how got messed up. That would prevent apps from Bing able to run and might cause post drop to replicate. Have made any changes lately to folder permissions. Run any sudo commands.

I have ran sudo commands, usually just to restart the launch services. On my windows side I installed a software called Paragon so that I can write to the mac side from the windows side, perhaps that is the issue.

Another thing,

I often program in python, using the IDE PyCharm CE. When I'm coding (most of my computing time) I find that PyCharm gets messed up every time the issues start to occur. Mostly, PyCharm will not allow me to run python files, giving me an error message that says "No Such File or Directory".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.