Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgomm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Madison
Hello,

My sister has received two MBP for free. They were missing some parts like batteries, screws, ram, and hard drives, but was told they still work. I ordered all the parts I needed and started working on them.

RSD:
Once I got everything installed inside the computer, I began to install the macOS onto the new ssd. It took a couple tries but eventually I got it. Then I began the set up and it shut off midway through. I thought I pressed something so I tried again, but then it kept turning off midway through powering on.
I have also had problems with not being able to turn on the MBP after it turned off. I have done multiple SMC resets which allows me to turn in on once, but it still turns off while powering on and won't turn back on without and SMC reset.

The Other MBP - White Screen:
After struggling with the first MBP I decided to try the second one out. After installing all the internals, I powered on the machine and noticed the a whole bunch of grey lines running horizontally across the screen. I went through with the install of macOS and once it got to 3/4 of the way through, the screen went completely white without the horizontal lines.

If you have experienced any of this before and have any idea on what is going on, please let me know

Thanks!

EyeDoc1

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2017
Batavia, IL
They are probably 2011 MBP's that the AMD Graphic's processor has failed. The Intel Graphics processor is still working but switches to the AMD one and you get a White screen. I fixed mine via the web site http://realmacmods.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.