Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celestialbrat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Macbook 13inch mid 2012
Running on Yosemite 10.10.05

Despite what I do to my power settings my macbook will shut completely down when plugged in after about an hour. But will stay in sleep mode for days/ until it runs out of power when not plugged in. Seem like something is backwards here????? Probably unrelated but when I boot it backup the screen will be frozen long enough for the screen to go black and stay black (total of about 4 mins) then it will come to (with some button fidgeting) and let me enter my password. Is there anyway to edit the power settings more then whats in the system preferences? this has all been happening for a couple of updates so it not that.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Consider the possibility of an automated stop in response to overheating, or in response to a heat sensor problem. An Apple Authorised Service Provider should be able to diagnose the hardware properly, with an Apple utility that's not available to the public.

check your console logs for messages immediately before the computer shut down.

With luck, there may also be something of interest amongst the messages that followed the start.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/219505/8546

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.