Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jessemedcalf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
My MacBook Air has suddenly stopped charging properly. When I plug in the charger, the light goes on, green at first for about 2 seconds, then to orange as per normal. However, after about 1 minute, the light goes off and it stops charging.
If I unplug the charger at the wall and plug it back in, or disconnect the two halves of the power adapter and reconnect them, it starts charging again. It will once again stop after about 1 minute.
I can do this indefinitely and the same thing happens every time, this has been going on nearly 2 weeks.
I have tried multiple plugs and multiple chargers - same thing happens on all.
I've reset the SMC (multiple times) with no luck.

This is massively frustrating, please if anyone has any solutions let me know.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
My MacBook Air has suddenly stopped charging properly.

FWIW this subforum is focused on the non-Air/non-Pro Macbook models. The Macbook Air specific subforum may be your better bet for help.

That said, it sounds like you may have either a software or hardware issue on the MBA itself since you've changed out the charger and cabling.

If it were me, I'd try booting into diagnostics or to Recovery manager and see if the charge behavior remained the same. i.e. see if it's something in your OSX installation by trying it when not running from a normal boot up. If it still fails then you're best bet is going to be to talk to Apple Support most likely.

Jessemedcalf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2016
Thanks heaps mate, will post it there! Have tried the diagnostics and recovery modes and still the same. Unfortunately I'm in Nicaragua right now and unsure if they even have apple stores haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.