Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one would you go with?

• Something Else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SAB8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Ok guys, I own a Mid-2012 MBP 13.3" with a 2.5GHz processor with 4GB RAM and a self installed 480GB SSD that is about 3 years old. I am being offered to trade it (With possibly a $100 or maybe just a trade) to a brand new Early-2015 MBA 13.3" 1.6Ghz processor with 8GB RAM and 256GB pcie flash storage. Is this a good deal, or should I just keep what I have got. I don't do any heavy gaming on the device, because I have other devices for that. Pretty much run light programs for college stuff. Thx for your thoughts. :)

SAB8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
Definitely the MBA. It's lighter, smaller and has a higher res screen and better battery life.
How much of a difference will I notice in speed from a 2.5GHz to 1.6Ghz? I know that the MBA's processor is newer, so should run about the same as the old one, but not sure how much of a difference it will be.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
How much of a difference will I notice in speed from a 2.5GHz to 1.6Ghz? I know that the MBA's processor is newer, so should run about the same as the old one, but not sure how much of a difference it will be.

I doubt you'll notice a difference between the two.

SAB8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
What are your all's thoughts on just getting 3rd party RAM and upgrading my MBP from 2x2GB (4GB) RAM to 2x8GB (16GB) RAM? Cost about $50 from Amazon.com. Would upgrading to the MBA still be a good idea?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
If you don't need the optical drive, the Air is the better machine in almost every way.
Adding more RAM to the mbp won't increase its value and if you're not running into performance problems with it as-is, then adding more won't do anything to improve performance.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
What are your all's thoughts on just getting 3rd party RAM and upgrading my MBP from 2x2GB (4GB) RAM to 2x8GB (16GB) RAM? Cost about $50 from Amazon.com. Would upgrading to the MBA still be a good idea?

What are you trying to achieve by upgrading? Do you need a more portable machine, or do you just want something shiny and new?

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
As others have said, you're getting a better laptop in just about every way. The MBA is also likely worth more than the cMBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.