Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prockis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
Hello,

I have an annoying problem. Sometimes when I try to shut down mac it freezes with spinning wheel. I tried PRAM, SMC reset, but nothing helps. I noticed that It happens more often when it's been plugged to power than when it runs on battery. Any thoughts what I can do, or clean-installing OS X is my only option?

Thx

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Try this first:

Instead of choosing "Shut Down", instead choose to Log Out or just type:
"command-shift-Q"

You should now be at the account login screen.

At the bottom of the screen are buttons to restart or shut down.

Click the shut down button.

Does this give you a "clean shutdown"?

I realize this is a workaround, instead of a "solution", but try it anyway.

Does it make a difference?

prockis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
Yeah I tried that. Again - sometimes it helps, sometimes not. It feels like, some app or something freezes the shutdown. That's why I think it's a minor problem and can be fixed by finding a problem (like a catche or script that breaks)

prockis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
Console says:

Mar 8 23:40:23 MacBook-Pro sessionlogoutd[1736]: sessionlogoutd Launched
Mar 8 23:40:23 MacBook-Pro sessionlogoutd[1736]: DEAD_PROCESS: 96 console
Mar 8 23:40:23 MacBook-Pro sharingd[316]: 23:40:23.674 : SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser returned NULL
Mar 8 23:40:23 MacBook-Pro sharingd[316]: 23:40:23.675 : SDActivityAdvertiser::consoleUserChanged: Stopping for user 501 on logout
Mar 8 23:40:23 MacBook-Pro sharingd[316]: 23:40:23.675 : SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser returned NULL
Mar 8 23:40:23 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Mar 8 23:40:23 MacBook-Pro sharingd[316]: 23:40:23.676 : SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser returned NULL
Mar 8 23:40:23 MacBook-Pro shutdown[1737]: halt by User:

Any ideas?

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hello,

I have an annoying problem. Sometimes when I try to shut down mac it freezes with spinning wheel. I tried PRAM, SMC reset, but nothing helps. I noticed that It happens more often when it's been plugged to power than when it runs on battery. Any thoughts what I can do, or clean-installing OS X is my only option?

Thx
I don't believe my experience can be the same with other computers and different software but here it is just for information.

I tried to upgrade my MP late 2013 from Yosemite to El Capitan as an update.
The upgrade from the (originally delivered by Apple) Mavericks to Yosemite as an update had worked OK, so I thought I could make one more upgrade as an update.
The result was that the MP did not shut down (boot down).:eek:
To shut the system down I was forced to use the ON/OFF button which simply cuts power supply.
Loging out as an user, as suggested above, did not solve the problem. :oops:

After some time I therefore did what is called "a clean install", what I previously tried to avoid because of the need to install again all the software. :(
After that the computer shut down in the usual way by simply giving the shut down command. ;)
Therefore, at least in my case, there were in my system problems due to the repeated updates from one OSX to another, and only a fresh install allowed normal operation.
Ed

prockis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
I don't believe my experience can be the same with other computers and different software but here it is just for information.

I tried to upgrade my MP late 2013 from Yosemite to El Capitan as an update.
The upgrade from the (originally delivered by Apple) Mavericks to Yosemite as an update had worked OK, so I thought I could make one more upgrade as an update.
The result was that the MP did not shut down (boot down).:eek:
To shut the system down I was forced to use the ON/OFF button which simply cuts power supply.
Loging out as an user, as suggested above, did not solve the problem. :oops:

After some time I therefore did what is called "a clean install", what I previously tried to avoid because of the need to install again all the software. :(
After that the computer shut down in the usual way by simply giving the shut down command. ;)
Therefore, at least in my case, there were in my system problems due to the repeated updates from one OSX to another, and only a fresh install allowed normal operation.
Ed

So basically, I need to do clean install after all. Do you think that using external HDD with time machine (to recover all files after clean install) would mess my mac again and I have to install everything manually?

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I've seen this happen and the only fix is to back up your stuff in Time Machine. Then Clean install. Then keep your fingers crossed and hope the bug ridden El Capitan will install properly and stay stable.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
So basically, I need to do clean install after all. Do you think that using external HDD with time machine (to recover all files after clean install) would mess my mac again and I have to install everything manually?
Maybe you can recover applications from TimeMachine without any problems.
However people who want to be sure not to carry further old system files and other remnants of the past, have no other choice than to reinstall all the applications they still need one by one.
I know that nobody likes all that effort and everybody tries to avoid it, but when serious problems happen, like for instance the computer refusing to shut normally down, one might find no other way than doing "clean installs" also of the applications.
Of course this only refers to software. Pure data is no problem to copy.
Good luck!
Ed

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Maybe you can recover applications from TimeMachine without any problems.
However people who want to be sure not to carry further old system files and other remnants of the past, have no other choice than to reinstall all the applications they still need one by one.
Actually if you restore apps from TM only the app is restored, nothing else.

For instance, if you have an app that requires a license key, you will need to re-enter that info again. Any settings and whatnot will have to be redone.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Actually if you restore apps from TM only the app is restored, nothing else.

For instance, if you have an app that requires a license key, you will need to re-enter that info again. Any settings and whatnot will have to be redone.
I am not an expert at all but AFAIK big programs install data in different parts of the system. Therefore to have them work you need not only to restore the naked application but also the Library, Preferences, etc.
Small and simple apps are only in the Application folder (copying them there installs them and taking them away uninstalls them) but not important software.
Ed

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
I am not an expert at all but AFAIK big programs install data in different parts of the system. Therefore to have them work you need not only to restore the naked application but also the Library, Preferences, etc.
Small and simple apps are only in the Application folder (copying them there installs them and taking them away uninstalls them) but not important software.
Ed
I'm not sure that's entirely true. I think most of those other items are installed once you open the app for the first time. I have installed audio plugins that also install sound sets into another location like /Library, but from what I've seen Preferences are created after opening the app for the first time.

I could be totally wrong.

prockis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
Is it possible to choose what to restore after clean install on El Capitain? For example - to restore all user settings and documents, but not apps? Sorry for a dumb question, I've never had experiences with time machine :D

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Is it possible to choose what to restore after clean install on El Capitain? For example - to restore all user settings and documents, but not apps? Sorry for a dumb question, I've never had experiences with time machine :D
Yes you can choose what to restore, however I would not restore user settings as your prob could reside in one of those settings. That would defeat the purpose of a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.