Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avglos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
Hello everyone.

I spilled water in my macbook around two weeks ago and now the LCD screen looks like that does not iluminate. I have to check with a external screen if the problem is due to a screen fault or a logic board fault but I am waiting to receive the mini display port - hdmi.

I would appreciate yout feedback about my problem: solutions, causes if the fault etc.

I would like to say sorry if there is a thread about a similar problem. I did not find it. So please tell me about it too.

Thank your for your time.

PD: if I iluminate the back of the screen throught the apple log the screen iluminates

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
After spilling water on the Macbook, did you remove the bottom cover, disconnect the battery, disassemble the machine, and leave it to dry for a few days? If not, I recommend that you stop using the machine, disconnect the battery, and inspect all parts for signs of corrosion.

Symptoms of liquid damage can take days or several weeks to appear. It not the liquid that always does the damage, it is the dried residue that is a problem.

avglos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
Not much you can do except get it to the repair shop and diagnose the problem.

Yesterday I got to connect the laptop in a external screen and this could display the image perfectly. I attach you a few pictures of it.

Could the problem be in the screen instead of the logic board with this test? I have not my screwdrivers yet so I cannot check it.

Thank you for your time and feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_4720.jpg
    IMG_4720.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4721.jpg
    IMG_4721.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_4722.jpg
    IMG_4722.jpg
    771.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_4723.jpg
    IMG_4723.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 133

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yesterday I got to connect the laptop in a external screen and this could display the image perfectly. I attach you a few pictures of it.

Could the problem be in the screen instead of the logic board with this test? I have not my screwdrivers yet so I cannot check it.

Thank you for your time and feedback!

Could be but water went inside the computer and likely damaged the interface going to your laptop screen. I do not know enough to know for sure, it would take someone who could run diagnostics. It is a good sign that you laptop will still run an external monitor.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It's not necessarily too late. Any remaining liquid or residue may be causing a temporary short somewhere.
Unlikely, a temporary short as you call it, has a high risk of damaging the logic board components which is why logic boards fail with water damage

Could the problem be in the screen instead of the logic board with this test?
Even if its the screen that shorted out, the cost of a new screen is going to be as much (if not more) then a logic board.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Unlikely, a temporary short as you call it, has a high risk of damaging the logic board components which is why logic boards fail with water damage
I understand your point of view but it's possible there is a small amount of liquid on the board. I have purchased a few water-damaged Air and Pros. I have been able to revive 50% to 100% functionality with a thorough cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and distilled water.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I understand your point of view but it's possible there is a small amount of liquid on the board. I have purchased a few water-damaged Air and Pros. I have been able to revive 50% to 100% functionality with a thorough cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and distilled water.
Given the OP's symptoms and the fact the issue occurred two weeks ago, I think the damage is not temporary.

Reactions: jerryk

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Given the OP's symptoms and the fact the issue occurred two weeks ago, I think the damage is not temporary.
I agree that it is probably not temporary and that the problem is probably due to a blown backlight fuse or problem with the LVDS connection. I'm an optimist which is why I suggested a good cleaning.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
In my experience water spills result in long term failures. Water is corrosive and gets under surface mount components. It sits there quietly eating away until something shorts out weeks or months later.

avglos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
I could open my macbook pro to check some kind of water damage. I attach a few pictures of the logic board and I do not know, but maybe there is a chipset with damage, in the pictures it is marked with a red circle. I would appreciate you that you could tell me which chipsets control my failure to check them better. I have tried to look for information about the logic board in internet but I did not find so much.

Thank you for your time and your attention. You are helping me so much!

Attachments

• IMG_4790.jpg
    IMG_4790.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4791.jpg
    IMG_4791.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_4792.jpg
    IMG_4792.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4793.jpg
    IMG_4793.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_4794.jpg
    IMG_4794.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG_4795.jpg
    IMG_4795.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_4796.jpg
    IMG_4796.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 180
  • IMG_4797.jpg
    IMG_4797.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I could open my macbook pro to check some kind of water damage. I attach a few pictures of the logic board and I do not know, but maybe there is a chipset with damage, in the pictures it is marked with a red circle. I would appreciate you that you could tell me which chipsets control my failure to check them better. I have tried to look for information about the logic board in internet but I did not find so much.

Thank you for your time and your attention. You are going to helping me so much!
Unfortunately it's going to be really hard to identify which chip(s) may be causing the issue, and even if you do find the one causing the issue, you are still likely going to have to replace the whole logic board if a chip is bad.

My honest suggestion is to take it (or send it) in to Apple, and have them assess the damage, as that will be the best place to get a firm answer on whether or not the logic board is damaged and needs replacement. On here it is really difficult to tell from pictures alone whether or not the board is the cause of your issues.

Reactions: HenryDJP

Merkava_4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2010
California
Water has never hurt anything electrical - just as long you remove the water before sending any electricity through the circuits. Spilt water on the machine two weeks ago, but I'm left wondering if there was any attempt to remove the water, or if the water is still in there. All a person needs to do - is remove either the top case or bottom cover (whichever provides the best access) - and then hook your garage vacuum up to its blower port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.