Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
having look at activity monitor, I realized today that MacFanControl (last version) consumed between 4 and nearly 10% of CPU !

First, I was paranoid and thought they would create bitcoins or something like that on their customers machines...

but after stopping the process in activity monitor and restarting after that, MacFanControl uses just much less than 1% of CPU, mostly about 0,2-0,5 % - just as before. So, I stopped to get paranoid... :D

So - have a look at your activity monitor and do just the same in case it consumes too much CPU resources.

I remember similar problems with an original apple app before. But I don´t no which it was. might be the same or a similar bug, this time by a third-party developer.

I am very thankful that MacFanControl exists - it helps me and other Users to protect the MBP´s GPUs to get too hot and die, if you alter apple´s useless standard-option for the fans and set the rpm of the fans higher at lower temperatures.

Last edited:

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
CPU consumption again stable around (high) 1,4 to 1,6% .... :(

any other user with similar CPU-consumption?

Last edited:

sailmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
CPU consumption again stable around (high) 1,4 to 1,6% .... :(

any other user with similar CPU-consumption?

Right now mine is between 0.3% - 0.7% on a freshly booted 3,1 but a few times per year I catch it in the 5% - 10% range. IIRC once it was above 20%. Sometimes it just settles again on its own, other times I don't have patience and simply reboot. I haven't been able to deduce what causes it to start hogging CPU -- it is not related to fan speeds, the sensors being monitored, or anything else obvious. I suppose something in the code starts infinitely looping but not in such a way that the app crashes or even fails to do its job.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2015
europe
Right now mine is between 0.3% - 0.7% on a freshly booted 3,1 but a few times per year I catch it in the 5% - 10% range. IIRC once it was above 20%. Sometimes it just settles again on its own, other times I don't have patience and simply reboot. I haven't been able to deduce what causes it to start hogging CPU -- it is not related to fan speeds, the sensors being monitored, or anything else obvious. I suppose something in the code starts infinitely looping but not in such a way that the app crashes or even fails to do its job.

Thank you for your report.

Some days after rebooting my macfanControl was again at around 3% - not as high as the highest CPU-consumption that I realized (that was near to 10%) , but nevertheless worth looking regularly at the activity monitor.
BTW: just cancelling MFC in activity monitor and restarting MFC soon after that seems for me to help as much as rebooting the whole Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.