Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
Installed Windows 7 via bootcamp but now when I boot my rMBP, it goes straight into Windows 7 rather than OS X Mavericks. I went into System Preferences > Startup Disk to change the boot drive but my Macintosh HD isn't listed. Screen shot located below. Anyone know how to fix this to get my OS X HD to appear again?
Startupdisk.png

When I press the option key during boot up, Macintosh HD appears and I can boot and use OS X without any issues. I also went into recovery to verify and repair my disk but appearing to the logs, everything is okay. Even tried to change my start up disk in recovery and it only showed bootcamp.

Last edited:

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
So I fixed 99.99% of the issue.

Capture.png

Went into Boot Camp Control Panel on Windows 7 and Macintosh HD appear so I changed it from there. Now my rMBP boots up in OS X by default. BUT I still can't get Macintosh HD to show up on the OS X side. Not sure if this matters but my external and usb thumb drive doesn't show up either when it's connected. It appears when I press option during boot though.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Last edited:

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
See if this can help : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4918046

EDIT : ah no, sorry, this doesn't solve your problem :

"It still doesn't show up under the startup disk preferences, but at least it works."

You might give it a try, though.

Also check in Disk utility that your HD has a GUID partition table, not MBR.
(on OS X, a bootable disk must have a GUID partition table).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1968358

Just looked at your 2nd link and that's exactly the issue I have. My Partition Map Scheme is Master Boot Record now x_x.

I did a back up, repartitioned and then restored from my back up, would the map scheme also transfer over?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
When you partition the disk in Disk utility ("Partition" tab), you must click on "Options" and select GUID partition table (instead of MBR), then "Apply".

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
Thanks for the help! Successfully did EVERYTHING (such a pain) but finally my startup disk shows Macintosh HD :)

Hopefully anyone who has this specific problem sees this thread also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.