Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mynameonlists

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2017
I haven’t used our MacMini for a long time and now can not get the wireless keyboard to work. We are using a USB Dell keyboard, at the moment.

When I open Bluetooth, the Mac finds the keyboard, but says, “Pairing unsuccessful…Make sure…on and discoverable…”

If the computer can “see” it and display the name of the device in the list, I assume that the device is indeed discoverable and has been found. The keyboard has fresh batteries and the green light blinks when the keyboard switch is depressed, so it has power. How can I fix this? Thanks.

Info on original documents –

Mac Mini

Serial (System) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

OsS X 10.6.8

Memory 6GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Keyboard: Apple A1314

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
My guess is that the Bluetooth keyboard is dead.

They don't last forever, I had an original Magic Trackpad die on me a couple of years ago. I was lucky to find a refurbished unit at Amazon because Apple stopped selling the original model several years ago

My Mac mini is probably around the same vintage as yours and in not compatible with many Bluetooth 4.0 accessories.

Other options: you can take your keyboard somewhere else (friends, family, colleagues) and try to connect to their systems. Or you could take it to an Apple Store's Genius Bar for them to diagnose.

Anyhow, good luck.

mynameonlists

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2017
Success, at last.
I was given this advice. To force the keyboard to pair,

· Hold down the power button on the keyboard

· While still holding, open the Bluetooth wizard. Keyboard name/number appears--keep holding

· Select keyboard and click Continue--message appears

· Enter the code contained in the message

You pretty much need three hands, but it worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.