Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Ever since I installed 10.12.4 three days ago, I've had constant Bluetooth problems with my Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse (connected to a 27" mid-2010 iMac): every 1-10 minutes one or both of them lose connection, then shortly after reconnect.

Today a new problem has developed, where both drop but don't reconnect, and the Bluetooth icon in the toolbar shows a sawtooth line across it ("Bluetooth Unavailable", according to Apple's documentation). Since I have no working input devices, at that point I need to force-shutdown the iMac by holding down the power button.

Likewise, every time I restart my iMac, I see a black progress bar on a grey background, with the Apple logo over it, as if macOS was updating something.

1) I've run Disk Utility's First Aid to check that there are no issues with the disk or files

2) I've removed and re-paired both the keyboard and mouse

3) I've done a Factory Reset (SHIFT-OPTION-click on the Bluetooth icon in the toolbar) for the iMac's BT hardware and both the keyboard and mouse

None of this has helped. I'm wondering if anyone else is having BT issues with the latest update, and if you know how to fix it?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I haven't had those particular bluetooth issues since upgrading to 10.12.4, however I am trying to sync my 7+ to my 2013 27" iMac (built in 2015) in order to attempt using handoff.

On my 7+ the bluetooth says the iMac is not connected to the network; meanwhile my iMac says the 7+ is not connected (I paired it with the iMac just fine.)

Meanwhile, iMac bluetooth is working with my Magic Mouse (original). I just chalked it up to my iMac's bluetooth being too old to work with my 7+...that may or may not be the case.

---

In regard to the OP, my mid-2010 iMac had frequent bluetooth issues across several Mac OS. I would frequently lose the connection to this Magic Mouse.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
After more investigation it would appear that my Blue Yeti USB microphone is causing the issues. Apparently something in macOS 10.12.4 Sierra has changed and now whenever the Yeti is connected the iMac's Bluetooth flakes out.

I've reached out to Blue for assistance.

25ghosts

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
This issue is still at large today with 10.12.6 and Apple's own Magic Mouse 2 and all other kinds of Bluetooth devices.

Apple's software quality has degraded so much the past years and while I know they are trying hard to beat it, they just can't. One need a USB-C Cable to connect his Mouse if switching between two computers on a daily basis. This just shouldn't happen. But it does. A long with thousands of other BUGs in their macOS and iOS. Almost on par with Microsoft.

Te0SX

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
Probelm SOLVED!

Having an imac 21,5 mid 2010 model here. I had the same issue for many months-year, with different versions of macos and even beta. I made a clean install too the last Spring but nothing solved the problem. I had reported to apple with Feedback Assistant many times, I had t do reboots for months and months since sometimes the bluetooth connections weren't coming back.

So how did I solve it and continue to use my mac in peace? I googled and found the perfect solution.

Buy this bluetooth usb stick for 6$ and follow these steps!

Finally, I can use my mac normally again. \o/ I've never experienced a bluetooth disconnection since then.

(when you change the bluetooth connection from your imac's hardware to usb be sure to have a wired mouse, and wait for a 2-5 minutes, probably it won't connect both of them instantly)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.