Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
So are they *eventually* going to have to change the name of this software since it won’t be able to actually clone anymore ?

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Reactions: fisherking

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
The APFS replication can only occur if the drive volume you are copying to is erased to a APFS single volume. Then you need to allow CCC assistant to be able to erase that HDD or SDD. It doesn't work for M1 based Macs in Monterey yet (bootable). :D

OK - I figured out what I was doing wrong, and corrected my mistake th.jpeg And, I got both my Monterey and Big Sur clones done. The hours I wasted were a learning experience.

Thanks Again!!!!!!!

Lou

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
So is there an issue or not? If upgrading to Monterey will I still be able to clone my OSX SSD to an external SSD and boot off that one?

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
OK - I figured out what I was doing wrong, and corrected my mistake And, I got both my Monterey and Big Sur clones done. The hours I wasted were a learning experience.

Thanks Again!!!!!!!

Lou
Was that just creating a new task, since the old task would be unusable if starting over? Also the question that Killerbob poised, did a CCC w/Monterey work ok with your intel Mac? :)

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Did a fresh CCC APFS replication backup of MacOS 12 beta 3 using M1 24" iMac, but it ended up not recognized as bootable.

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Was that just creating a new task, since the old task would be unusable if starting over? Also the question that Killerbob poised, did a CCC w/Monterey work ok with your intel Mac? :)

No - Not to appear too stupid Unknown.jpeg but, I neglected to click on (select) "Allow CCC to erase ...." when I selected "Legacy Bootable Backup Assistant". Like I said - DUMB 👎

Yes, I made both bootable clones (Big Sur & Monterey) in Monterey.

Lou

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The beta 3 did make the APFS clone of M1 volume show up under Options so that I could try to boot a USB3 connected HDD. The system asked for my password towards the end of booting. As CCC posted awhile back its almost boots but then encounters a system panic and then attempts the same again. The Panic details are being sent to Apple with reference to CCC 6.0.2. CCC awhile back discussed this. Beta 2 was more messed up, it didn't even boot fully, compared to beta 3.

This has nothing to do with intel Macs running Monterey which are bootable with CCC and APFS replication.
The clone that doesn't yet boot on my 24" iMac still is perfect usable for migration assistance.

I have not tested a TB3 connected SSD versus USB3 connected HDD. So if someone has the time they can investigate that.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Hmm - Will a clone made on an Intel Mac boot an M1 Mac❓

My clones were made on SSDs (Samsung 970 Pros to 970 Evos) mounted on PCIe cards in a NcMP.

Lou

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Carbon Copy Cloner 6.0.3-b1 available if you have beta downloads enabled.
  • Changed
    Resolved a case where CCC was stripping the destination volume's custom icon in a folder-to-volume task configuration.
  • Changed
    The search field in the Task History window Audit tab now yields results that match folder names as well as file names. in the sidebar for a task or group. When the "group completed" icon is dismissed, that state is now recalled across launches of CCC.
  • Fixed
    Resolved a condition in which the "Maintain a record of transactions" checkbox became practically uncheck-able in CCC 6.0.2.
  • New
    Added a new "Last Successful Run" token for the email notification template.
  • Fixed
    Improved the handling of cases where a source NAS presents a symlink as an ordinary file. Fixed an accounting issue that led to unusually high "data copied" values in those cases.
  • New
    Added a Start button to the "Upcoming Group and Task Events" view for task groups.
  • Changed
    Updated how APFS volume disk usage is calculated on macOS Monterey.
  • Fixed
    Fixed an issue in which CCC was unable to replace a folder on the destination with a symbolic link (i.e. because a folder on the source had been replaced by a symbolic link). This issue only affected macOS Catalina users.
  • Changed
    Eliminated some spurious "updated attributes" transactions that were getting created when backing up to a NAS volume.
  • Changed
    Resolved a conflict between the "Remove excluded items" setting and custom protection rules. Custom protection rules now have precedence over the "Remove excluded items" setting.

Reactions: flowrider

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
beta 4 Monterey introduced some new authorization permission changes, such trying to boot from a CCC clone startup disc in preferences is buggy. Do that from recovery mode more options is safer. Also some people observed beta 4 requesting authorization for Rosetta before it’s used with a Intel application.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Not all startup disks showing in "Startup Disk" is not new to Beta 4, it's been happening for some time, including Big Sur. I just checked my system, and all five were shown. The remedy is to restart and hold the "option key" - all disks will appear in "Startup Manager".

Lou

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
^^^^Not all startup disks showing in "Startup Disk" is not new to Beta 4, it's been happening for some time, including Big Sur. I just checked my system, and all five were shown. The remedy is to restart and hold the "option key" - all disks will appear in "Startup Manager".

Lou
I had no issues selecting startup disk in Monterey beta 4, after you selected the disc it now challenged you to authorize the account to use for boot up in start up preferences.

Then what's different is it went through the boot cycle and got to the half way progress point of the security accepting the external drive it halted or crashed and rebooted with that occurring indefinitely.

If you instead boot from recovery mode elect which disk to boot from it didn't fail in the same manner. From earlier beta 3 post: "The system asked for my password towards the end of booting."

I thought things might be different with the beta 4 change below, never easy it seems. Bugs!
Yes when this bugged boot was going on, I could not interrupt its loop, could not get into recovery mode until I forced off with power and for good measure unplugged the power to the iMac for 30 secs. :)

macOS Recovery​

Resolved in macOS Monterey 12 beta 4​

• You can now start up from macOS Recovery. (78334511)
Oh yeah feedback to Apple of course.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Hmm, I had no such issue. I just made a clone of my startup disk to my backup disk - Monterey B4. Booted from my backup disk and booted fine? I have never had a request for my password.

BTW, all five bootable disks did appear in "Startup Disk".

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Carbon Copy Cloner 6.0.3-b2 available if you have beta downloads enabled.

Changed
b2: Improved the handling of manual sort order changes of the Tasks list.
[*]Fixed
b2: Fixed a permissions issue that can cause applications to not work correctly when restored from a volume whose ownership is disabled.
[*]Changed
b2: Fixed a rendering issue for the Task Plan text on macOS Monterey.
[*]Changed
b2: The CCC Dashboard window position is now retained when it's closed and later reopened.
[*]Fixed
b2: Fixed an issue in which CCC would not remove additional snapshots from the destination when free space was exhausted in the middle of a backup task (specific to cases where SafetyNet was disabled).
[*]Changed
b2: Fixed an issue that could cause slow performance during postflight re-verification of files copied by the current task in cases where the task was also configured to use the "Find and replace corrupted files" setting.
[*]Changed
b2: CCC will no longer create a snapshot on the source when the source and destination are folders on the same APFS volume. Instead CCC will use the APFS clonefile() function to make clones of files in these cases

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Carbon Copy Cloner 6.0.3-b2 was a bit more efficient backing up Mac OS 12 beta 5 related to the following fix I observed:
b2: Fixed an issue that could cause slow performance during postflight re-verification of files copied by the current task in cases where the task was also configured to use the "Find and replace corrupted files" setting.

tfontaine

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2021
Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 9.11.28 PM.png
Yes, you CAN boot from external hd on M1 MBA running Mac OS 12.0 Beta. I know because I'm using that MBA right now booted from the external drive.

Reactions: mikzn

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Yes, you CAN boot from external hd on M1 MBA running Mac OS 12.0 Beta. I know because I'm using that MBA right now booted from the external drive.
MacOS 12 Beta 6 shows Apple finally remediated some issues, because the wipe and make a new CCC backup using APFS replication was finally bootable without crashing, although it went thorough more then one reboot for it boot to the main Monterey logon screen.

The earlier betas before beta 6 had some issue with it almost booting then crashing on my M1 24" iMac. What I was doing was testing out the CCC APFS Replicator using 6.0.3 b2 to see if it made a bootable copy to a USB-A connected HDD.

There were some odd issues we first saw in b4 and b5 with asking for your admin password after the OS install had downloaded, and prepared just before it reboots appeared to work a lot better with b6.

So need to have others try CCC 6.0.3 b2 with a M1 Mac using the Legacy Bootable Backup Assistant to see if its oK for them also.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Seems that no-one has noticed a third beta build, namely 6.0.3. I'm grateful to CCC for continuing to update it's product to work with the yet to be released finished Monterey macOS 12.
I just saw that today, I did look a couple of times yesterday and saw no update, so thank you.

• Changed
    Relative date references (e.g. "Today", "Yesterday") in the Task Plan and Task History window are now correctly updated when a date change event occurs (i.e. at midnight).
  • Changed
    SafetyNet pruning settings are now consistently visible when the destination is HFS+ formatted.
  • Changed
    Errors that occur due to the OneDrive service's interference with CCC archinving activity on the destination are now suppressed. These typically go away on their own without intervention.
  • Fixed
    Fixed a logic issue that caused the "Never show this dialog" setting to be ignored for the "Remove task audit" dialog.
  • Fixed
    Fixed the "Bring all to front" menu item in the Window menu.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
CCC 6.03 is now released

• Fixed
    Fixed an issue in which CCC was unable to replace a folder on the destination with a symbolic link (i.e. because a folder on the source had been replaced by a symbolic link). This issue primarily affected macOS Catalina users, but could also affect Big Sur users for tasks that used the "Don't delete anything" SafetyNet setting.
  • Fixed
    Improved the handling of cases where a source NAS presents a symlink as an ordinary file. Fixed an accounting issue that led to unusually high "data copied" values in those cases.
  • Fixed
    Resolved a condition in which the "Maintain a record of transactions" checkbox became practically uncheck-able in CCC 6.0.2.
  • Fixed
    Fixed a permissions issue that can cause applications to not work correctly when restored from a volume whose ownership is disabled.
  • Changed
    Relative date references (e.g. "Today", "Yesterday") in the Task Plan and Task History window are now correctly updated when a date change event occurs (i.e. at midnight).
  • Changed
    SafetyNet pruning settings are now consistently visible when the destination is HFS+ formatted.
  • Changed
    Errors that occur due to the OneDrive service's interference with CCC archiving activity on the destination are now suppressed. These typically go away on their own without intervention.
  • Fixed
    Fixed a logic issue that caused the "Never show this dialog" setting to be ignored for the "Remove task audit" dialog.
  • Fixed
    Fixed the "Bring all to front" menu item in the Window menu.
  • Changed
    Improved the handling of manual sort order changes of the Tasks list.
  • Changed
    The CCC Dashboard window position is now retained when it's closed and later reopened.
  • Fixed
    Fixed an issue in which CCC would not remove additional snapshots from the destination when free space was exhausted in the middle of a backup task (specific to cases where SafetyNet was disabled).
  • Changed
    Fixed an issue that could cause slow performance during postflight re-verification of files copied by the current task in cases where the task was also configured to use the "Find and replace corrupted files" setting.
  • Changed
    CCC will no longer create a snapshot on the source when the source and destination are folders on the same APFS volume. Instead CCC will use the APFS clonefile() function to make clones of files in these cases.
  • Changed
    Resolved a case where CCC was stripping the destination volume's custom icon in a folder-to-volume task configuration.
  • Changed
    The search field in the Task History window Audit tab now yields results that match folder names as well as file names. in the sidebar for a task or group. When the "group completed" icon is dismissed, that state is now recalled across launches of CCC.
  • New
    Added a new "Last Successful Run" token for the email notification template.
  • New
    Added a Start button to the "Upcoming Group and Task Events" view for task groups.
  • Changed
    Updated how APFS volume disk usage is calculated on macOS Monterey.
  • Changed
    Fixed a rendering issue for the Task Plan text on macOS Monterey.
  • Changed
    Eliminated some spurious "updated attributes" transactions that were getting created when backing up to a NAS volume.
  • Changed
    Resolved a conflict between the "Remove excluded items" setting and custom protection rules. Custom protection rules now have precedence over the "Remove excluded items" setting.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
CCC 6.04-b1 is now available if beta downloads is enabled

We're moving into the final phase of Monterey testing with this beta cycle. All outstanding issues that we're aware of have been resolved, so if you're still seeing an issue on Monterey, please report it via CCC's Help menu.

• New
    We added a new "CCC Downgrade Assistant" feature, accessible via CCC's Utilities menu. The Downgrade Assistant can assess a backup volume's compatibility with Migration Assistant, and will create macOS Installer media using a specified volume and installer application. If you kick the tires on this new feature, please let us know how it goes for you.
  • New
    We added another small new feature in the source and destination selectors. If the selected source or destination is a network volume, or a folder on a network volume, you can hold down the Option key to reveal a "Switch to AFP" or "Switch to SMB" menu item. We frequently see slow performance and errors from SMB-mounted volumes, and we often recommend that people try "the other" protocol when the current protocol isn't working out. Now we've made it really simple to switch between the two to see if using a different protocol will yield better results.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
CCC 6.04 is available to update to now. This version of CCC adds official support for macOS 12 Monterey

This version of CCC adds official support for macOS 12 Monterey​

We found very few issues with Monterey over the last several months so we're anticipating this to be a fairly smooth upgrade cycle. We offer some advice for people contemplating the upgrade, or eventual downgrade to/from this new OS here: Best practices for updating your Mac's OS.

This update includes a handful of changes that are applicable to Catalina and Big Sur users too:

• Changed
    The expansion state of the last task group in the sidebar is now properly retained across launches.
  • Changed
    The order of tasks within a task group as shown in the sidebar now tracks the run order defined in the "Upcoming Group and Task Events" table when the sidebar is configured for manual sort ordering. Likewise, tasks within a group cannot be sorted manually in the sidebar when the sidebar is configured for manual sorting. Order the tasks within the "Upcoming Group and Task Events" table to set that custom order.
  • Changed
    Improved the handling of some failure cases when copying the Catalina System volume, e.g. when the destination volume drops offline, or when the destination Data volume can't be unmounted.
  • Fixed
    Fixed an issue in which CCC would fail to mount the destination Data volume in cases where the destination System volume had been removed.
  • Changed
    CCC will no longer remove the System volume from an encrypted destination volume after an OS upgrade. We can't update that System volume, so it becomes essentially useless, but removing it exposes a bug in Disk Utility in which it's unable to unlock the volume. Also fixed an issue in which CCC was failing to unlock those orphaned Data volumes.
  • Fixed
    Fixed a couple issues that were causing exceptions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.