Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
After Updating to macOS 15 Sequoia I can no longer login to FaceTime or iMessage on M1 Max MBP. I am prompted to login to iMessage after rebooting but I just get a spinner. The same thing happens with FaceTime.

Reactions: zpjet

phoenixbt

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
Same here...I also can't activate unlock with Apple Watch as it says I'm not logged into iCloud. This is happening on an M1 Mac Studio and M3 MBP

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Might be something on the server side. On a whim, I logged out of FaceTime on my iMac which is still running 12.7.6 and now can't log back in to FaceTime on it either! Argh

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
So there is clearly something going on with my Eero Network and / or Xfinity affecting the ability to login to FaceTime, Apple Messages, and other iCloud services in my local area here in Atlanta. I have reset my local WiFi Network and Xfinity connected, personally managed Cable Modem and still no joy. The only was I was able to get any of my devices (whether updated with todays iOS and macOS updates) to connect and re-establish a login with my devices while I was connected via my personal hotspot on the AT&T cell network that my iPhone uses. Once I bypassed my home network I was able to successfully log in to FaceTime and Messages again. Once back on my home network however, I cannot make a FaceTime call.

Reactions: adrianlondon

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Changed my Eero DNS from the Custom DNS I was using back to my ISP and can now login to FaceTime and Messages again and make new FaceTime calls. I believe I was using Cloudflare's DNS. Had no issues previously.

Reactions: morrissey007

phoenixbt

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
That's interesting...I was using cloudflare as well, but just switched to Google. My Mac Studio will now sign into FaceTime and iMessage, but unlock with Apple Watch isn't working (says can't connect to watch whereas before it said not signed into iCloud). My MacBook Pro, also on google DNS, still won't sign into any of the services

zpjet

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2005
Confirmed. I thought I have my ISP's DNS servers but at some point I had to manually add 1.1.1.1 to my Wi-Fi's DNS settings. Removed and works fine.

Reactions: GDMcG

morrissey007

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2024
Oh wow, I cant tell you how pleased I found this thread. Spent the last 3 hours trying to get FT and iM working with no luck, after reading this I checked my DNS (which I would never have thought to do) and sure enough my ISP uses cloud flare. Forced it to use Google DNS and FT +iMessenger immediately came to life. Thank you everyone!

Ktaifan

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2014
Using Mullvad, and switched my DNS to Google's; still no luck with iMessage working on Sequoia. Only works with my VPN off.

Ilikecheese_91

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2024
Sub-Artic America
My iPhone on Mullvad as it always has been works fine. I just did a restore on it and the VPN was the first app to download and everything continues to work fine on it.

However my Mac on 15.0 does not want to sync iMessage at all. It did an initial grab of the data, but nothing since. With VPN or without. Difference DNS servers, nothing.

JUMA55

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
I have a 2019 iMac, and I'm planning to nuke and return to Ventura. But before I do that I loaded up the public beta, 15.1, and Apple has fixed the Messages issue. It finally works as one expects with ExpressVPN active. I do not know about FaceTime since I do not use it. But the People part of Find My is still not working, although the Devices part is working fine, as it did on 15.0

So it seems Apple is getting there.

Reactions: GDMcG and Ktaifan

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
From another but similar thread:

I chatted with ExpressVPN support earlier today because my Messages and Reminders app on my Mac was not syncing. They suggested that I disable this option (screenshot) and sure enough, things started syncing again. It seems that the changes they've made to the Firewall is being a PITA for a lot of people and it is affecting VPN connections as well.

Screenshot 2024-09-19 at 2.58.46 PM.png

Reactions: GDMcG and Ktaifan

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Good Lord I do NOT miss having to use a VPN to access the servers for work. We completely switched to Microsoft OneDrive and it has been a blessing not only in file transfer and syncing speed, but I no longer have to troubleshoot the VPN app(s) (since they all pretty much have issues in one form or another).

cbns

macrumors regular
May 21, 2021
I can log in but I can't make or receive any calls. FaceTime immediately unexpectedly quits as soon as it starts calling.
Disabling and renabling everything on both my iPhone and Mac, restarting everything, logging out, etc. Nothing helped.

edit: fixed it. I had SwiftQuit and didn't realize that was closing FaceTime each time because the main window would vanish when you started a call and instead be a popup in the corner

Last edited:

sub150

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2018
I had the same issue as others. Upgraded to Sequoia and couldn't send messages on my Mac. I only run Cloudflare WARP. Turned it off, hit sync now, and everything works.

Has to be a bug right? I've been using WARP since it came out.

JUMA55

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
OK, guys, what do we do about it? I also are having problems with Messages and FaceTime no matter if ExpressVPN is active or not. I also have a problem with Find MY. It finds devices OK, but will not find any people. I tried beta five on Sequoia 15.1 and that didn't help. Did anyone call Apple? I don't mind calling Apple but will they even talk to me considering the AppleCare on my 2019 iMac has expired?

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Weird. I did a fresh install of 15.0 and it fixed everything, but after updating to the latest 15.1 beta, all the issues returned. I can't even do iPhone Mirroring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.