Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stumblingfalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
Hi

Ive used SyncBack on Windows for many years to mirror/sync my video and photo archives/folders between my NAS and my laptops (Im a photographer/videographer). Its reliable, and even the free version is feature rich and generally never skips a beat and ensures I have solid backup of the latest revisions of the files on a RAID 5. I let the sync run every night, i.e. its not a live sync setup.

I will be transitioning from Windows to one of the new MBPs as soon as it gets delivered. Which good software alternatives to SyncBak are there for Mac?

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
I like Resilio Sync. We use it to sync in real time across four Macs. It “just works.”

there is a version for Synology NAS, which we used to use. It works so long as files aren’t created on the NAS. if a file is created on a Mac, it’ll sync just fine to the Synology (and from the Synology to another Mac), but if you create a file on the NAS directly, it won’t sync for whatever reason.

Resilio has versions for other NAS brands too.

Reactions: stumblingfalk

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Also, I’ll add that it’s incredibly robust. Works well even when Internet connectivity drops out, such as when hot spotting over LTE or on meager hotel WiFi.

stumblingfalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
Thank you!

I'll look into it. Sounds like it might not be exactly what I'm looking for but that it might still have the simple featureset I need.

One don't want to go about experimenting wildly with these kinds of softwares. One mistake or oversight and suddenly you've deleted all your stuff :D

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2021
Oh, one more actually… GoodSync. I use this on a scheduled nightly basis to remote in via SFTP to our Filemaker server and a home automation (Homeseer) device to maintain backup copies. And once a week use it to backup work files on an Amazon S3 account.

it works well for these purposes… periodic synchronization. For real time tho it bogs down compared to Resilio

stumblingfalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
Oh, one more actually… GoodSync. I use this on a scheduled nightly basis to remote in via SFTP to our Filemaker server and a home automation (Homeseer) device to maintain backup copies. And once a week use it to backup work files on an Amazon S3 account.

it works well for these purposes… periodic synchronization. For real time tho it bogs down compared to Resilio

Aha! That might do the trick. Thanks again! :)

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008

I also use Goodsync. It works well for me! I have never had any problems with it.

lifereinspired

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2019
I'm also looking for a good sync program. Found another thread on here that says stay far away from SyncMate. They advertise heavily but had changed hands. The op had happily used it from 2010-2015 when it started having problems. When they paid to upgrade in 2020, they had all sorts of issues with it bogging down, quitting, etc then totally screwed up all of the guys files with some dups mixed in. They wouldn't refund etiher.

Also, the thread said to watch out for the fact that GoodSync is now subscription only. That might be OK with you, but be aware. I almost purchased thinking it was standalone. I'm not a fan of sub's, personally.

Let us know what ends of working for you!

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I like Resilio Sync. We use it to sync in real time across four Macs. It “just works.”

there is a version for Synology NAS, which we used to use. It works so long as files aren’t created on the NAS. if a file is created on a Mac, it’ll sync just fine to the Synology (and from the Synology to another Mac), but if you create a file on the NAS directly, it won’t sync for whatever reason.

Resilio has versions for other NAS brands too.

If using Synology, you could just install CloudStation on the NAS, then Synology Drive client on any of the other devices, and set up the folder that you'd like to sync. Any file that gets dropped into that file, whether on the clients, or directly on the NAS, will be synced to all other devices that touch that folder.

Anything outside of that directory that is set up will not be synced up, obviously. But you can set up multiple folders/directories to sync up with whatever client you see fit.

BL.

stumblingfalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2021
After much pondering and testing, Goodsync definitely seemed like the better software/system, even if it cost a little. But 35% off right now due to black week.

I like the cross-platform support, and the ability to run a server on my NAS and use the Goodsync connect feature and have my own "cloud". I know there's loads of different solutions like this, but this one seems to work well.

In all likelihood I will soon get a 1000/1000mbit connection at home since they are laying down fibre in my area. It opens up more possibilities to run various servers online than my current "crappy" 500/20 line allows.

Thanks all for input and suggestions, gave me a place to start :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.