Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leandrobremer

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 18, 2018
After years of asking why would Finder forget some folders view options I've come to realise that it has to do with it's partition type. If a HDD or SSD is formated as something like ExFat (non-Apple) Finder won't save view options for those folders.

Is there a workaround it?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I don't know about a workaround, but I can give some more explanation as to why.

Apple's file systems are actually made specifically for functions like this, and directories and files have a metadata fork on the file system for storing information, like Finder's view options.

I thought macOS was meant to create a hidden ._DSStore file for file systems that don't support it though, to store the same info

leandrobremer

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 18, 2018
I dont understand why they cant simply do it. If I access a network folder Ill have to readjust the view options almost everytime I acess it (if i close Finder)... If I save something from Photoshop straight into the network, the saving document window will always be in the wrong place a files unarrenged. I hate that! I hate Finder :)

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I dont understand why they cant simply do it. If I access a network folder Ill have to readjust the view options almost everytime I acess it (if i close Finder)... If I save something from Photoshop straight into the network, the saving document window will always be in the wrong place a files unarrenged. I hate that! I hate Finder :)

Hmmm. I think it may just be a network drive thing. I just tried on my USB attached ExFAT drive, and it did save the view option.

If you hate Finder, why not use an alternate file browser?

leandrobremer

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 18, 2018
It will save but if you restart Finder (alt+right click on it's dock Icon) the saved view option will be gone. There's no way I know how to substitute Finder. I could use Alternate Finder e.g but everytime I'm going to save a file or something, Finder will pop up and the window will be unconfigured :(

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
It will save but if you restart Finder (alt+right click on it's dock Icon) the saved view option will be gone. There's no way I know how to substitute Finder. I could use Alternate Finder e.g but everytime I'm going to save a file or something, Finder will pop up and the window will be unconfigured :(

I killed Finder via the Terminal when I tested. "sudo killall Finder" - I don't think sudo is necessary for that now that I think about it, but whatever.

Finder replacements of course won't change other applications' reliance on Finder for things like Save and Open prompts since that's using a system API, but for the main app itself you can use a different file browser

leandrobremer

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 18, 2018
Yeah, indeed! For some things I use Adobe Bridge but anyways, still I can't understand why doesn't they simply make it better. I guess I'll to live with forever or until some better OS comes up... Revolutionary Apple is gone, I'd say!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.