Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
My goodness. I think macOS has taken mostly palatable and favourable turns over the years, but I've never stopped missing the original dark-style Notification Center when it was delineated by lines and margins, back before individual notifications became bright rounded-rectangle panel things. I've never looked back from the dark menu and Dock, but they leave so much still untouched.

There have been indications for ages that some kind of system-supported dark appearance has been brewing in macOS' native code – something that would be available to the entire Finder and any supported apps. It seems like some customers have longed for this enough that developers' implementations of their own optional dark interfaces are weighed almost as strongly as major features by them.

Is it finally time? o _ o

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Not sure if MacRumors mentioned anything about this, but here it is on 9to5Mac: WebKit code references suggest dark mode coming to macOS 10.14. That's pretty strong evidence we may finally see a system-wide dark mode on MacOS 10.14, at least for the built-in apps and any others that choose to adopt it.
The problem with that is they (along with everyone else) have been "finding evidence of a full dark mode in the code" for years and years.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
I haven’t been holding my breath for years, but I’ve always been starry-eyed about the prospect – I think this time I’ll at least hold my breath till Monday. ^ _ ^

I have to say, this recent leaked video clip of Xcode looks consistent with everything I’ve read and seen so far.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Dark Mode in macOS Mojave !

iMac_macOS_dark_mode_finder_preview_06042018.jpg

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Well, I'm going to say I called that.

And I'm quite happy. They really mean it. ^ _ ^

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I'm happy to see it as well. I really didn't think they would do it, but I'm happy to be surprised. Now the problem is going to be getting all the app devs to update their apps to fully support it.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
I'm happy to see it as well. I really didn't think they would do it, but I'm happy to be surprised. Now the problem is going to be getting all the app devs to update their apps to fully support it.

I'm not worried – I think many will be tempted, and some will be too tempted. It looks well-thought-out and easy to adopt. They really do mean it.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
there is a dark mode in MacOS High Sierra but was disabled its called dark chocolate open your terminal enter defaults write -g NSWindowDarkChocolate -bool True then go system preferences then general turn on dark menubar and dock then log out and log back in info taken from get dark mode on MacOS High Sierra mackungfu.org if you need to copy and paste in the terminal

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 246
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.