Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tHeRoomers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2017
I'm not entirely sure if this is only happening to me, but ever since I upgrade to High Sierra (10.13) I noticed that its been taking up a lot of ram. I have barely anything opened and 3 quarters of my 16gb is used up. I tried to do a fresh reinstall and reloaded from my time machine back-up, but it still did not fix the issue.

With my normal use on Sierra (10.12) if I was working intensively, then just half of the ram is being used up. On my light use days, i have iTunes, safari with 5 tabs opened, and the usage is barely a quarter of the total 16gb. If this is a real issue, I hope Apple will patch it up really soon. If not, can anyone out there lend my some insight as to whats wrong with my system? Thanks a bunch.
Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 8.55.02 AM.jpg

Jamovik

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
Nothing is wrong. It's working as intended. Modern OSes are programmed to use the available RAM to speed things up. It's the same with Windows and Linux.

Reactions: jhfenton

tHeRoomers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2017
Nothing is wrong. It's working as intended. Modern OSes are programmed to use the available RAM to speed things up. It's the same with Windows and Linux.
But how come Sierra doesn't nearly use as much?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
How much ram is your WindowServer using? From another thread there may be a memory leak in it. It was rewritten in High Sierra.

tHeRoomers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2017
Because Sierra was slightly different, its algorithms may not have been as keen to keep recently-used apps in memory or maybe those apps have changed...but unused ram is...just wasted.
I'm not sure how you mean, but i just think something is off when i'm not doin anything a it keeps using up the ram. I'm thinking about doing a fresh install, then manually move my fils over.
[doublepost=1506798086][/doublepost]
How much ram is your WindowServer using? From another thread there may be a memory leak in it. It was rewritten in High Sierra.
It gets over 2 gigs if i keep the computer running long enough.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017

You do not speed up things by writing to disk. But that is what macos does.

It is hell-bent on keeping as much old cache as possible, to the point where it rather starts compressing memory and then uses the swap than to get rid of old cache.

Real life example: unload a batch of RAW images from camera with Adobe Bridge or similar, and let it create previews of those images. Every newly created image will be cached. When you hit the end of available memory, it keeps the cache and starts compressing other stuff. After a while, it also starts swapping to disk, keeping the old cache.

When that happens, images are created with a third of the previous speed, and the OS starts to lag considerably.

You can call this ”modern” as much as you want, but it is not efficient. It is at that point you need to purge stale cache to keep it going.

Another thing is that all the useless demons used by the OS, like photoanalysisd, photolibraryd and so on, keep growing in RAM. Half the used memory is reserved for processes that are perhaps never used, since not all users are keen on using Photos, Facetime and all the crap that is mandatory. They could at least restart themselves once a day, and better yet give the user control over what to run.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
You do not speed up things by writing to disk. But that is what macos does.

It is hell-bent on keeping as much old cache as possible, to the point where it rather starts compressing memory and then uses the swap than to get rid of old cache.

Real life example: unload a batch of RAW images from camera with Adobe Bridge or similar, and let it create previews of those images. Every newly created image will be cached. When you hit the end of available memory, it keeps the cache and starts compressing other stuff. After a while, it also starts swapping to disk, keeping the old cache.

When that happens, images are created with a third of the previous speed, and the OS starts to lag considerably.

You can call this ”modern” as much as you want, but it is not efficient. It is at that point you need to purge stale cache to keep it going.

Another thing is that all the useless demons used by the OS, like photoanalysisd, photolibraryd and so on, keep growing in RAM. Half the used memory is reserved for processes that are perhaps never used, since not all users are keen on using Photos, Facetime and all the crap that is mandatory. They could at least restart themselves once a day, and better yet give the user control over what to run.

It's almost like they are trying to force older uses with less ram to upgrade to newer models with more ram.

Reactions: vkd

JPamplin

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Nashville, TN
Is there any way to speed this thing up?

photolibraryd is scanning my library of 6200 pics and 650 videos. I've left my 2013 Macbook Pro 2.6 i7 / 16GB / 500GB open and running for 2 weeks now. It's not hogging the RAM or CPU, and only uses 4 cores (not the additional 4 threads).

This thing won't download any new photos taken on my phone (Photo Stream), upload any pics in shared libraries, or upload any added pics to my iCloud photo library until this process is done. The last pic in my library is January 16 (2 weeks ago).

Can I assign this a higher priority, make it use all threads, WHAT can I do?

EDIT: Crickets after a full week... I guess I have my answer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.