Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_thunderhawk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
Hey everyone, new to the forum!

Maybe this has been asked before so I apologize if it has!

Just to preface, I have been out of the Mac/MacOS game for quite some time. The last time I had a Mac (of any kind) was close to 4-5 years ago, and if I remember correctly MacOS Lion was out. So I'm unfamiliar with a lot of changes, but I'm learning.

I have a Mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro i5. I recently bought 2 Samsung SSD's in hopes of setting up a Raid 0 configuration. Clearly this is currently not possible on High Sierra with the new APFS. If I setup a usb boot drive with Terminal using the command 'converttoapfs NO' and force my ssd's to setup as HFS+ am I still able to setup in Raid 0? Or is this no longer a possibility in the OS until there is support for Fusion Drives and Raid drives?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm not an expert on RAID, but...
... from reading another user's futile attempts to install Hight Sierra on a RAID drive (without success) ... I'd reckon that it's just not possible right now. I could be wrong.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
You can give the 'converttoapfs NO' thing a try. I have a RAID0 drive but I don't boot from it.

So far as I know, the only problem with booting from RAID in High Sierra is the lack of support for RAID in APFS as yet.

One option for getting a bootable HFS+ RAID0 which appears to work is to install High Sierra to a single drive and then clone it to an HFS+ RAID0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.