Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dialogos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
I will describe the steps.

1. Open disk utility, click on upper left side , select view -> Show all devices
2. Run First Aid on Container Disk
3. Run First Aid in the subdisk under container disk. If the first aid runs without a problem try to run it again. Eventually you will get a corruption error.

At least this is my experience in different machines after the update.

Reactions: BroncoBear

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Works just fine for me.
But then I normally just run it once to completion.
In my experience if you screw with anything long enough, you can get it to break.:D

Reactions: Ashka

dialogos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Works just fine for me.
But then I normally just run it once to completion.
In my experience if you screw with anything long enough, you can get it to break.:D

I mentioned it runs fine if I run it once. Could you try to run it second time? I assume you're clicking the first aid for the disk that is under the container right?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I mentioned it runs fine if I run it once. Could you try to run it second time? I assume you're clicking the first aid for the disk that is under the container right?
Just for you, I ran it a 2nd and a 3rd and a 4th and 5th time, and all is still OK. But as I mentioned earlier maybe if I played long enough I could get it to fail.
And yes I am running first aid on the disk that shows under the container, which BTW is the boot partition.

dialogos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Just for you, I ran it a 2nd and a 3rd and a 4th and 5th time, and all is still OK. But as I mentioned earlier maybe if I played long enough I could get it to fail.
And yes I am running first aid on the disk that shows under the container, which BTW is the boot partition.

I don't know what to say. I tried it on a third machine and I get the same error. Anyway my computer works fine so I won't pay attention to it.

By the way let me explain how I discovered it. I didn't play long enough with it. People here recommended in the past to run disk utility after an update. While running disk utility I wasn't sure if I had to run it on the container disk or the boot partition so I run it on both :) One after the other one :)

Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
People recommended running "Repair Permissions" from Disk Utility after installing things more than 10 years ago, even though it wasn't really necessary.
There's absolutely no need to run DU after installing an OS update. You can do it if you like, and at best, it will keep the elephants away from your Mac. (See? Still no elephants!)

dialogos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
People recommended running "Repair Permissions" from Disk Utility after installing things more than 10 years ago, even though it wasn't really necessary.
There's absolutely no need to run DU after installing an OS update. You can do it if you like, and at best, it will keep the elephants away from your Mac. (See? Still no elephants!)

Guys you're confusing me :):) it was something like a year ago that I was advised to run Disk Utility after updates. Before that I wouldn't even bother :)

The thing is that now I have already run it, my computer runs fine but it bothers me that I get this weird message that my drive is corrupted. I get the same message on two imacs and one macbook. Do you believe I should ignore it?

I tried to run my own experiment. I restarted my computer. Run Disk Utility on Boot Volume. Everything was fine. I run it on the container disk - everything was fine. I run it on Boot Volume again and I got the same error message.

My understanding from what you're saying is I shouldn't bother so I leave it here. If you're advising not to run disk utility again I will simply follow the advise, no problem at all :)

But if you wish try try run the process above in case there is a bug. People more experienced than me may I understand it better.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I'm saying you don't need to. Someone else may come up with a reason why it's a good idea, but I'd want details.

It's possible the error messages themselves are the bug. There have been a number of bugs with DU in Mojave.

Reactions: dialogos

dialogos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
I'm saying you don't need to. Someone else may come up with a reason why it's a good idea, but I'd want details.

It's possible the error messages themselves are the bug. There have been a number of bugs with DU in Mojave.

Thanks a lot!

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I've got 4 SSD's, and 4 HHD's. I tried to recreate the problem you described on each drive (both APFS and HFS+). I could not duplicate your issue.

Grab a scratch drive, wipe it clean (reformat it), then do a clean install (no app/data migrations). Then try again and report back.

dialogos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
I've got 4 SSD's, and 4 HHD's. I tried to recreate the problem you described on each drive (both APFS and HFS+). I could not duplicate your issue.

Grab a scratch drive, wipe it clean (reformat it), then do a clean install (no app/data migrations). Then try again and report back.

Hello crjackson2134, first of all thanks for trying to replicate the problem. I wouldn't mind doing a clean install but it's time so time consuming and my machines work fine.

As far as I know all my internal drives are APFS (this is the new format for ssd's right? ) Out of curiosity did you run the First Aid in Container disk first and then to the boot volume?

I tried to run it on an external ssd disk which I have but I couldn't get the same error message. I get it only for my internal disk.

To be honest I don't want to spend time especially with clean format. As long as you can't replicate I assume it's something from my side. Maybe the software I use in all of my computers? I don't have something special other than what I need for my work.

Once again thanks a lot !

Reactions: crjackson2134

Mac56

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2015

1. Open disk utility, click on upper left side , select view -> Show all devices
3. Run First Aid in the subdisk under container disk. If the first aid runs without a problem try to run it again. Eventually you will get a corruption error.

[doublepost=1553989521][/doublepost]I have exactly the same problem, tried a fresh install of 14.4 with no additional software installed, only OS, the second run of First Aid on the boot disk gets the error, it only happens with the boot disk, reinstalled 14.2 via time machine and all is now ok. I called Apple support, on their request run and sent data to Apple, I am now waiting for a response from 2nd level support.

Lenones

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2019
[doublepost=1553989521][/doublepost]I have exactly the same problem, tried a fresh install of 14.4 with no additional software installed, only OS, the second run of First Aid on the boot disk gets the error, it only happens with the boot disk, reinstalled 14.2 via time machine and all is now ok. I called Apple support, on their request run and sent data to Apple, I am now waiting for a response from 2nd level support.

Good afternoon. Please tell me how you solved the problem with the disk utility? I faced a similar problem on my MBP 2018. The motherboard and SSD were replaced, but it did not solve the problem. Can be you share your experience?

Mac56

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2015
Hi, it's not solved, Apple support called to inform that they are aware of the issue and working on it and that there is no problem with iMac Pro. I have seen that the same error seems to be present in the Pro computers (tested on a couple of MacBook Pro) and not, for example, in the standard iMac.

Lenones

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2019
Hi, it's not solved, Apple support called to inform that they are aware of the issue and working on it and that there is no problem with iMac Pro. I have seen that the same error seems to be present in the Pro computers (tested on a couple of MacBook Pro) and not, for example, in the standard iMac.

Thanks for the info. I have PRO. I will hope that the error is not critical.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Odd. My rMBP does not have this issue, in 10.14.4. I did a First Aid check of the container disk for my startup volume twice, no issues both times.

BroncoBear

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2004

I have the same issue. Has anyone ever figured this out?

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
In 10.14.x, after the install of anything I have run Onyx and am having no problems. Matter of fact I did prior to reading the thread/posts that talked about using Onyx. OF WHICH I never really thought much about Onyx. Until now. Whatever it's doing now, it's great for the newer OSs. Disk Util has outlived its usefulness since Apple really hasn't paid much mind to those kinds of things. Otherwise, we'd have a real Font Manager, Virus Protection, Disk Utilities . . .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.