Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
I updated my iMac (Late 2015 i5 3.2Ghz 5K) to the latest PB 10. But unlike every other PB it is stuck installing the new beta. It has been like this for over an hour. See image. Is my only option to recover from Time Machine??

ZvZ95Rf.jpg

Reactions: TimothyR734

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
Try rebooting

I rebooted and it did the same thing, got stuck at exactly the same place after entering my password.

Then I tried twice to boot into safe mode, after entering my password the iMac shuts down. So it appears I cannot login to safe mode.

What are my options now? I've forgotten lol
[doublepost=1536867268][/doublepost]

Ok, so I entered Recovery (Command > R) on startup.

Now I'm restoring from a Time Machine backup from yesterday.

Hopefully when it is restored in several hours and I try to update to Public Beta 10 I won't experience the same thing. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
what video card is in your iMac I know AMD/ATI card might have some issues and is yours on the supported Mac's list if not you could always check out the macOS Mojave for unsupported Mac's thread

It's a Late 2015 four core i5 3.2Ghz, 32GB, 1TB Fusion, 2GB GPU (I cannot remember the brand of the GPU), 5K. As far as I'm aware it's supported. I've had Mojave installed since Public Beta 1.

TimothyR734

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2018
Logsden Oregon
is your 1TB Fusion drive internal or external I know people have had issues with that and is your hdd/ssd formatted APFS as that is the requirement know to receive updates through the software update

Reactions: Skeptical.me

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
is your 1TB Fusion drive internal or external I know people have had issues with that and is your hdd/ssd formatted APFS as that is the requirement know to receive updates through the software update

Internal

That actually happened to me last year with the 1st beta, I had to seperate the ssd from the hdd, then rejoin them together. It wasn't very difficult, I took notes on how I did it. So, if that happens again I just open the terminal and fix it. But Im pretty sure Apple fixed the issue, don't quote on that, I vaguely remember reading something about it. I may be wrong.

I think this model can't run AFPS, just AFP (is this correct?), maybe someone with more insight may know. I could be completely wrong, I only say this because when I connect to my NAS' shares its using AFP.

Last edited:

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia

So it restored well, then I updated to the Public Beta 10 without any issues. Now I'm signing back into apps etc. Apart from taking 8 hours to restore my backup (that's quiet a long time without my iMac lol), it all worked out well. Thanks for taking the time out to help

Mac03ForLife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2017
Washington, DC
In the future, I would just let it sit for a day or so and see what happens. I updated my macbook air 2017 and it did the same thing, i just let it sit for 2hrs and eventually things moved along...

Reactions: Skeptical.me

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
what video card is in your iMac I know AMD/ATI card might have some issues and is yours on the supported Mac's list if not you could always check out the macOS Mojave for unsupported Mac's thread

Just to answer your question the GPU is a AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB (I thought it was AMD, I just couldn't fully remember).
[doublepost=1536953081][/doublepost]
In the future, I would just let it sit for a day or so and see what happens. I updated my macbook air 2017 and it did the same thing, i just let it sit for 2hrs and eventually things moved along...

Yeah, thanks ... If it happens again I might do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.