Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhfnh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
The Tiling Fn usage to move and tile windows interferes with spreadsheet navigation in Microsoft Excel. For example in Excel fn-control-right arrow should move to the last cell in the sheet. That combination now tiles the window to the right side of the screen. I can find no way to turn off tiling. I use magnet which uses control-option-right arrow to tile the window to the right side of the screen.

Does any one have a way to turn off the Sequoia Tiling option?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
There is a "Shortcuts..." button which should allow you to change the keyboard shortcuts for tiling
I think that Settings pane only gives control over tiling by dragging - not via keyboard shortcuts. The "Shortcuts..." button at the bottom only apples to Mission Control shortcuts.

This page https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mchl9674d0b0/15.0/mac/15.0 lists the keyboard shortcuts, but gives no hint as to how change the shortcuts or turn them off.

Do you have detail as to how to turn them off.

Reactions: mhfnh

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Does any one have a way to turn off the Sequoia Tiling option?
I have a fix for you. Redefine those tiling shortcuts.

System Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts... > App Shortcuts > All Applications.

By default that shows just Shift-Command-/ for Show Help Menu

Screenshot of System Settings at 28 Sep 2024 at 14_04_35.png

Now add two more shortcuts using the Plus button. Here is Left.
Screenshot of System Settings at 28 Sep 2024 at 13_51_26.png

I use "Left" because that is the name in any app's menubar under Window > Move & Resize > Left.

And with both Left and Right, we have:

Screenshot of System Settings at 28 Sep 2024 at 13_53_19.png

Fn-Control-left/right arrow shortcuts are now free and work as you expect in Excel.

The odd thing (bug? or is it just me?): I now expect Control-Option-, and . to tile left and right. But they do nothing. Apart from Control-Option-Left and Right arrow, I couldn't find a combination that created working shortcuts for Left and Right. Any change seems to disable. Disable any other tiling shortcuts in the same way.

I got this from a Reddit post with one of the betas.

Reactions: mhfnh

mhfnh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
View attachment 2429515

Fn-Control-left/right arrow shortcuts are now free and work as you expect in Excel.

The odd thing (bug? or is it just me?): I now expect Control-Option-, and . to tile left and right. But they do nothing. Apart from Control-Option-Left and Right arrow, I couldn't find a combination that created working shortcuts for Left and Right. Any change seems to disable. Disable any other tiling shortcuts in the same way.

I got this from a Reddit post with one of the betas.
Thank you for the partial fix. Still having problems with shift-fn-control-> to select all cells from the current location to the end of the sheet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.