Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JokerPower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2017
Hi everybody. We're approaching the release date of macOS Sequoia (if it indeed releases in September). Has anyone tried it as a daily driver on the M1 Pro? Should I upgrade on release, or is it better to wait for 15.1 or later?

Have you noticed any performance decrease compared to Sonoma?

Thank you

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Have the same question...

I have noticed over the years that after a few OS versions from launch date of a new Mac, performance seems to take a hit.

For example: Final Cut Pro. When rendering and exporting, when a new Mac comes out..all CPU and GPU are at almost full blast (or close) and exporting and rendering are fast (selling point to buy). Then...gradually as newer updated Macs come out...mysteriously the once fast rendering and exporting start to slow down; Not firing all of the CPU or GPU's after a few years of "newer" macOS's, especially after firmware updates.

It seems clock work that it starts to occur after three years and then by five years, my once "new' fast Mac seems slower...thus...needing to buy a new one.. I am not a conspiracy person that Apple does this on purpose, but I have noticed this over the last 10 years and have questioned it...

macOS Sequoia in beta seems to run fast and quicker (some) compared to Sonoma (I tried it on my M2 MacBook Air), but has anyone seen any advantages yet or slowdowns on M1 Pro or M1 MacBook Pros? Much appreciated if some have dived into the betas (especially firmware updates) that can help us out as we look forward in making buying decisions coming late fall.

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I bought a MacBook Pro with the M1 Pro chip roughly about a week ago, and it has the macOS Sequoia 15.1 beta on it, and I have to say I am very impressed with its performance. So far I am really happy with this MacBook Pro, although I still miss my 2017 MacBook Pro I sold to a friend who needed a laptop quickly after his got stolen. The M1 Pro chip is a huge boost though.

Reactions: loby

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Hi everybody. We're approaching the release date of macOS Sequoia (if it indeed releases in September). Has anyone tried it as a daily driver on the M1 Pro? Should I upgrade on release, or is it better to wait for 15.1 or later?

Have you noticed any performance decrease compared to Sonoma?

Thank you

You're almost certainly not going to notice any issues - unless Sequoia has some general performance issues on all Macs, regardless of chip. In fact, macOS releases often tend to work better than previous versions. And M1 Pro has great performance anyway.

Whether you should upgrade on release or not is up to you, but performance on your specific Mac shouldn't be a concern. It will work great, performance-wise. This will likely also be the case for many years (and releases) to come.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
I have a MBP M1-Max and been running the betas since 15.0 B6 and all is good. Yes, there are some minor bugs but nothing worth mentioning. I also didn't have any SMB issues connecting to my Synology NAS, which I remember I did during the later Sonoma beta.

Overall, I find it Sequoia better than Sonoma and feels more polished than Sonoma.

Reactions: loby and LockOn2B

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I have a MBP M1-Max and been running the betas since 15.0 B6 and all is good. Yes, there are some minor bugs but nothing worth mentioning. I also didn't have any SMB issues connecting to my Synology NAS, which I remember I did during the later Sonoma beta.

Overall, I find it Sequoia better than Sonoma and feels more polished than Sonoma.
Thank god. How is your RAM usage?

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010

anyone using Final Cut Pro? If so, how is the performance? Any slow downs or CPU or GPU lowering (not firing on all pistons?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.