Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
This week, I set up a new "Apple Silicon" Apple MacBook Air (M2, 2022), which is running the latest macOS Monterey 12.6.

I downloaded & installed the Yubico Authenticator via the Mac App Store on my new MacBook Air, rather than download it from yubico.com using a web browser.

The Mac App Store version of the app is 5.1.0, and its last update was one year ago according to the version history.

The first time I tried to run the app, my Mac told me that because it's an Intel app instead of "Apple Silicon" or "Universal", I would have to first install Apple's "Rosetta". The Rosetta 2 installation was direct from Apple, not unexpected, and not a problem.

However, when I then tried to run the Yubico Authenticator app again after installing Rosetta, my Mac gave me a different and very strange warning:

"Yubico Authenticator is an app downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it? Chrome downloaded this file on 27 September 2021".

This message makes no sense, as I did *not* download the app via Chrome a year ago; I downloaded it directly from the Mac App Store *this week*. I don't even have Chrome installed on my MacBook Air!

I deleted the app, downloaded it again from the Mac App Store, and tried opening it once more. This time it ran fine without any strange messages.

Why would the copy of the app downloaded from the Mac App Store before the Rosetta installation make my MacBook Air think it was downloaded via Chrome a year earlier?

Attachments

• YubicoAuth.png
    YubicoAuth.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 570

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
1. You might have two copies of this app installed. Do a quick search to find out and if you find the non App Store version, delete it. If not, skip to step 2.
2. Use the machine normally.

Tezcatlipoca

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Cambridge, UK
It's a brand new machine, which only had one copy of the app installed, and that copy was installed via the Mac App Store. The app was not downloaded from elsewhere via Chrome (which isn't installed) or any other browser.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
However, when I then tried to run the Yubico Authenticator app again after installing Rosetta, my Mac gave me a different and very strange warning: "Yubico Authenticator is an app downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it? Chrome downloaded this file on 27 September 2021".
Maybe Rosetta uses “Chrome” as user agent when “It translates the app for use with Apple silicon.”
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211861

prime17569

macrumors regular
May 26, 2021
Is it an Electron app? Electron uses the Chrome rendering engine, and Gatekeeper might be getting confused because of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.