Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

visusest

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
pa_usa
macworld.co.uk - macOS 13 guide: 2022 version of macOS could be a Mammoth update

The more clickbait Apple sites are already speculating about what June will reveal and my 30 seconds of searching didn't see any discussion on MacRumors yet. Obviously MacOS/iOS/iPadOS will all become more unified and indistinguishable on newer hardware. My biggest concern is what (if any) systems will drop from support. It doesn't seem likely that MacOS 13 will exclusively require T2 ... yet.

AMD GCN 1/2/3 graphics are the lowest hanging fruit including the 2013 Mac Pro, 2015 Macbook Pro 15 "and 2014/2015 iMac 27". The Kepler delete was staggered over Big Sur and Monterey but Apple used Kepler for '12/'/13/'14 Macbook Pros and '11/'12/'13 iMacs. Part of me hates to think MacOS 13 will only allow Polaris and newer graphics. Fingers crossed that GCN sticks around.

I'm only nervous because I'm shopping for a new MXM GPU for my 2011 iMac 27" to use as a semi-daily driver web browser, occasional video editor, Time Machine server and Plex Server. GCN cards are much cheaper and more available than Polaris. I'll likely go GCN but hopefully by this time next year, the crypto glut will have run its course, fabs will start to catch up with demand and 3+ year old NOS/used graphics cards won't be so overpriced. Opening up an iMac is a pain but I'll gladly swap GPU's as long as they're cheap and supported. Open Core Legacy Patcher still supports Core 2 Duo so Sandy Bridge should have a few more years of patched support. Apple announced the PPC to Intel switch in 2005 and dropped support in 2009 with Snow Leopard. I highly doubt 2024 will be the end of Intel support in MacOS and even if it is, some of the wizards here will find a way to keep Intel going with patches.

I'm typing this on my officially unsupported 2013 iMac (Kepler) on Monterey. While it is completely stable, the borders on Control Center and the dock are blocky with poor subpixel rendering due to patched graphics. Hopefully I'll be done looking at it soon enough on a machine that's 2 year older with 1 year newer graphics. TLDR: long live GCN!

What models does everyone else think Apple will drop in MacOS 13?

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Thinking about Mac mini 2014 and MacBooks on Intel M Cores.
Heard rumors that there will be some kind of update for blockchain that will make mining on GPUs unprofitable (except those who have more than 100+ units), so this notorious situation might be resolved soon, I guess (but ta-daa there is also a semiconductor crisis + do not forget that some b****s will keep selling them overpriced, hoping for extra profits (can imagine their opinion: "this GPU can mine you a 0.20$ per day (24h) so that's why we'll sell it for 350% price").

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Please PLEASE add the ability to min/max windows from the app icon! It’s literally the only feature of Windows that I miss ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.