Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jennymc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
Hi,

I have Mac pro mid 2010, 5,1 quad code model. It was working fine since 2010. few days back there was red light near CPU heatsink, but it disappeared when cleaned all dust and it start working again. Next morning when I switched on again, it's dead, no light, no sound, no fan movement, nothing is happening.
  • When connecting the Mac Pro to AC power, the LEDs for OVTMP CPUA and OVTMP CPUB briefly flashes red and also momentarily flash red immediately after the Mac Pro is disconnected from AC power ( note 1 & note 2, page no. 34 )
  • after pressing DIAG LED button on board, the 5V STBY LED illuminates
This indicates the Power supply and Logic board is fine. The power button was giving problem from last 1-2 months, I need to press sometime 2-3 time to start the system.

MAIN ISSUE
I have tried to jump the SYS PWR pads to start the mac pro as (shown in the video, possibly on correct power-on pads), but no result. Can someone please suggest what is the best solution or what might be the main cause?

here is the video link

Thanks

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
It looks like you are following the service manual and that you are shorting the correct pads per step 6 on page 35. Since you are failing step 6, you cannot move to step 7.

I would assume that you need to check the second bullet point prior to step 7, CPU diagnostics, which starts on page 37.

pdafan

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Hi,

I have Mac pro mid 2010, 5,1 quad code model. It was working fine since 2010. few days back there was red light near CPU heatsink, but it disappeared when cleaned all dust and it start working again. Next morning when I switched on again, it's dead, no light, no sound, no fan movement, nothing is happening.
  • When connecting the Mac Pro to AC power, the LEDs for OVTMP CPUA and OVTMP CPUB briefly flashes red and also momentarily flash red immediately after the Mac Pro is disconnected from AC power ( note 1 & note 2, page no. 34 )
This indicates the Power supply and Logic board is fine. The power button was giving problem from last 1-2 months, I need to press sometime 2-3 time to start the system.

MAIN ISSUE
I have tried to jump the SYS PWR pads to start the mac pro as (shown in the video, possibly on correct power-on pads), but no result. Can someone please suggest what is the best solution or what might be the main cause?

here is the video link

Thanks
I have exactly the same issue as you except mine is a Mac Pro 2009.
Both RED LEDs flashes briefly.
AMBER LED lights up when pressed.
But still Mac Pro is dead as log.
I even swap out its PSU and it was able to power up nicely another Mac Pro 2009.
I guess the backplane board is dead.

jennymc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2011
It looks like you are following the service manual and that you are shorting the correct pads per step 6 on page 35. Since you are failing step 6, you cannot move to step 7.

I would assume that you need to check the second bullet point prior to step 7, CPU diagnostics, which starts on page 37.

thanks for the advice. I have tried the same but its not working with or without the processor tray. The fans are not moving too

andrelo

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2021
Inferno
Hi,

MAIN ISSUE

here is the video link

Thanks
Did you resolve this issue? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.