Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designer22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Minneapolis MN
Has anyone who has taken their 3,1 Pro to El Capitan found it to be worthwhile in the sense of speed, added value of newer apps, etc? Since that will be the top of the ladder for these older macs, I have been holding off, as Yosemite seems to work just fine most of the time. Would like to hear what you have experienced. Thank you.

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
I have three separate boot drives: 10.6.8-Spinner 10.8.5-SSD 10.10.5-SSD and a .dmg of 10.11.5
As you probably have experienced, updating the OS will send unsupported apps to the "incompatible software" folder! If you have some EOL apps you know the problem this will cause! The best test run is to clone your current OS drive and update it. Boot from cloned updated drive and see what's what! If all is fine clone it back to the original or better yet to another drive. This will leave the original unscathed! Test run (10.12) Sierra the same way! :cool:

Reactions: designer22

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
I found El Cap to be a lot slower on my 3,1. I think to see any benefits of upgradingit needs to be on an SSD. I would say the same for Yosemite as well. Although both run without to many issues, Mavericks seems to be the most stable of the recent releases for me.

If and when my original 320HD dies it'll get replaced with a SSD, so might reconsider upgrading, but from a personal point of view, i'll be sticking with 10.9.5 for the forseeable future.

designer22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Minneapolis MN
I have three separate boot drives: 10.6.8-Spinner 10.8.5-SSD 10.10.5-SSD and a .dmg of 10.11.5
As you probably have experienced, updating the OS will send unsupported apps to the "incompatible software" folder! If you have some EOL apps you know the problem this will cause! The best test run is to clone your current OS drive and update it. Boot from cloned updated drive and see what's what! If all is fine clone it back to the original or better yet to another drive. This will leave the original unscathed! Test run (10.12) Sierra the same way! :cool:

Yes, that has been my pattern when updating - clone and test :) Thanks!
[doublepost=1468959920][/doublepost]
I found El Cap to be a lot slower on my 3,1. I think to see any benefits of upgradingit needs to be on an SSD. I would say the same for Yosemite as well. Although both run without to many issues, Mavericks seems to be the most stable of the recent releases for me.

If and when my original 320HD dies it'll get replaced with a SSD, so might reconsider upgrading, but from a personal point of view, i'll be sticking with 10.9.5 for the forseeable future.

Yes, my startup drive has been an SSD for a while now. It does make a difference for sure.

hartleymartin

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2016
Sydney, Australia
My cMP 3,1 works just fine with the latest El Capitan release. I have 8GB of RAM and an SSD for the boot drive. The modern OSX releases require more RAM than what was standard when the Mac Pro was first released, which may become a bottle-neck in the system. Mind you, I don't think I've ever come across a classic Mac Pro that has not had a few upgrades and customisations.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
My cMP 3,1 works just fine with the latest El Capitan release. I have 8GB of RAM and an SSD for the boot drive. The modern OSX releases require more RAM than what was standard when the Mac Pro was first released, which may become a bottle-neck in the system. Mind you, I don't think I've ever come across a classic Mac Pro that has not had a few upgrades and customisations.
My 3.2GHz 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 works very well with El Capitan & has had various upgrade including 56GB RAM & 2x1TB Evo 850 in RAID0 on Capricorn Velocity PCIe plus flashed 4GB GTX680.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.