Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New_Mac_Pro_Now!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2018
Hello,

after having laboriously prepared my brave MacPro 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon from
2012 for Mojave (switched off FileVault (Decrypt lasted 7 hours), bought and installed a
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, installed Mojave (10.14.2), BootRom being 140.0.0.0.0, hd being
APFS) everything works,

except for this: FileVault.

After the Mojave installation (10.14.2) the MacPro answers my activation attempts of
FileVault via the Security System Preferences with the error message:

"FileVault cannot be used on this system and operating system" (or something to that
effect, as the message is in German)

This morning with OSX 10.13.6 the MacPro handled FileVault-Encryption still very well.
What is going on here?

Now I read tsialex's nonchalant comment in his post from Sept. 24th
(" MP5,1: What you have to do to upgrade to Mojave"):
"Disable FileVault2 if enabled, since FV2 is not supported anymore with a Mac Pro 5,1 running Mojave."
Is that true, is that confirmed? I never read sth from Apple about that.

Thanks for your hints and explanations

Slash-2CPU

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
It’s not allowed to run File Vault on Mojave with Mac Pro 5,1.

High Sierra with boot ROM 140.0.0.0 is probably the best option for these. I am running Mojave on my 4,1 flashed to 5,1. Mojave offers nothing better than High Sierra did for me. I regret upgrading to Mojave’s, but I don’t feel like going through the process of reverting to High Sierra.

Reactions: H2SO4

New_Mac_Pro_Now!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2018
Hello Slash-2CPU,

"It’s not allowed to run File Vault on Mojave with Mac Pro 5,1"
Why is that?
Do you have a source for that? I never saw it 'advertised' by Apple.
Thanks

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
As mentioned, Filevault will not work in mojave on a mac pro.
Either stick with HS or do without filevault.
We are blessed that the latest OS runs on 8-9 year old kit.....:)

Reactions: crjackson2134

New_Mac_Pro_Now!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2018
It’s fully explained here: Read the entire thing.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898

No, that explains nothing. If you read that and my post you'd know
that I didn't run into the potential problems Apple describes while upgrading to 10.14 with Filevault
for I use a fully supported graphics card that does show an "Apple logo and startup progress bar"
during Mojave-startup. They warn against using any Graphics Card besides their
recommended ones, which potentially don't show an "Apple logo and startup progress bar"
during startup with Filevault in which case you can't access the volume.
Besides this specific problem (which I don't have 'cause I use a "good" graphics card)
they nowhere mention, if and why Filevault is not supportet on a MacPro 5.1 with Mojave
and that Mojave will refuse to encrypt a volume as a Filevault-volume

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Its because apple took the easy way out and just disabled it... even if you have a card that supports boot screen and metal, like the GTX680 Mac Edition.

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
As this thread is often referenced when people ask about FileVault on the 5,1 in Mojave, here is a reference to the modification you can make to bypass this without needing to use another install or another mac to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.