Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyantama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
Hi folks - migrating back to my 5,1 upgraded proc 3.33 12-core. I have the stock GFX card in there now, but I'd love to get my radeon 580 8g working where I can have the grey startup disk options.

I just am diving back in and could really use a couple pointers. Would anyone be able to point me to the most up to date process for doing this and installer links for this? I'm pretty basic, I don't even know how to find older versions of MacOS, and there are so many older/varied articles on how to do this, I'd love a recommended path from you kind folks here.

Am I right that Catalina is the most robust for this set-up right now? I run Adobe CC, Cinema 4D, Resolve mostly, if that makes any difference. There are just so many threads on open core, I was hoping someone would be nice enough to link me to the opencore and mac os installer file that I would need.

currently on high sierra. open to any OS, just ideally it would be the one people are liking for the apps I was mentioning, or if I should repost this in a better forum for this topic. Thanks so much
Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 7.01.14 PM.png

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Personally, i run mojave on my mac pro. This is the latest system that is officially supported on a mac pro. 5,1. Catalina is buggier although High sierra was the best. I don’t have the grey screen with the startup disk options, i only use the control panel startup disk. Don’t forget to update the bootrom with the mojave installer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.