Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superparati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
London
Hello,

For work, I'm using a MBP powered by the Dell Thunderbolt Dock WD19TBS linked to a Screen, external hard drives…
On the side and personal work, I'm using a MacPro 5.1 flashed using OpenCore. I recently bought a Thunderbolt Titan Ridge card, flashed and pin setup, I'm wondering if I can use the same Dell dock with my MacPro.

What makes me so hesitant is related to the main thunderbolt power cable capable of delivering up to 90w to my MBP. How this will behave once hooked to my MacPro.

I hope the power cable won't try to provide power to the card 😂

Calling the community to see if you have ever experience to connect a Dell Thunderbolt Dock WD19TBS or similar to a MacPro and if everything was working as expected using the main cable.

Also I'm looking to a 1m Thunderbolt cable extension (male-female) which one would recommend?
I might connect hard drives, 1x screen monitor and 1 USB-C router
It can be very confusing on AMZ with the thunderbolt cable USB4.

Thanks

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
There is no extension cables for Thunderbolt, the specification explicitly prohibits this. Purchase a Thunderbolt cable of the required length.

Btw, the only copper TB3 cables with 3m that works are from Apple.

jaytv111

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Regarding power, Power Delivery (PD) is negotiated on both sides before power is sent that way, the card won't ask for any PD so no PD will be sent. Similar to my work laptop (Thinkpad workstation type) which does not accept PD input but I can plug any Thunderbolt dock in just fine, no issues with PD, PD just goes unused.

superparati

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
London
Sadly extension cable Thunderbolt do not exist :( maybe here but cannot find one.
just each time taking the MP out of its storage, plugs all cables and back is time consuming 😅 maybe I should think about owning another dock with a longer cable (few additional centimetres).

Good to know about the PD negotiation thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.