Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wtholliday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
I do Mac/iOS app development and would like to compile code faster. My app has a lot of C++ so compilation takes a while. Would also be nice to run tests faster (though I don't think that is multicore).

Has anyone done real-world Xcode compilation benchmarks of an 8-core Mac Pro and top-of-the-line iMac?

I saw this article which compares the Mac Pro and 2013 MacBook Pro (close to what I currently have): http://ikennd.ac/blog/2014/07/mac-pro-review-developer-edition/

thanks!

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
Is compiling primarily a multi-core thing or single core thing? If single core, get iMac as it's fastest at 4ghz. If multi-core, go for mac pro as you get 8 cores.

wtholliday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Is compiling primarily a multi-core thing or single core thing? If single core, get iMac as it's fastest at 4ghz. If multi-core, go for mac pro as you get 8 cores.

It's a combination of both. The individual files are compiled in parallel, but then there are some single-threaded operations at the end (linking, code-signing). So, if you're building a project from scratch, it tends to be rather multicore (for a large project at least). But once the project is compiled, subsequent compilations are more single-core.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Only a small part of the whole work flow able to utilise the core count of the nMP. And the expensive dual GPU basically only sits there and doing nothing. I don't think nMP is a good choice for this purpose.

The Achilles heel of the 5k iMac is the cooling system. However, by considering you are not going to put CPU / GPU constantly under stress. I think that will be fine for you. And as you said, the price already include a decent 5k monitor. I just can't see why the nMP can be a better choice in this particular case.

wtholliday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Only a small part of the whole work flow able to utilise the core count of the nMP. And the expensive dual GPU basically only sits there and doing nothing.

Well, I neglected to mention that I'm writing 3d graphics software, so it would be nice to have a high-end GPU, but certainly not essential. I spend most of the time optimizing the iOS version anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.