Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbarton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2001
Hey, anyone still gaming on your trashcan?

I am, so I thought I'd start a post to share information about what games work, issues, tips and tricks. I'm not a huge gamer, but these days everything I do play is in Windows 10 on a bootcamp partition.

I'm currently using the bootcamp drivers from AMD's website. I tried several of the 18.x series drivers on bootcampdrivers.com site but one of the games I play (eve online) wouldn't launch with any of them. Also, I've encountered multiple issues with various driver packages installing correctly. Best advice I can give is to absolutely use the latest DDU utility (outlined in the readme's) and run it in SAFE mode at least 2 times in a row (some recommend 3). The only issue I have seen with the drivers didn't load any gaming profiles. It's unclear to me if a AMD delivered game profile can/does set parameters for a game that can't be done in the settings interface. I've made profiles for all of the games I play to tweak various settings.

I also use MSI Afterburner to overclock when gaming. My d700s are currently clocked at 950Mhz core and 1500Mhz memory. No issues with heat management with anything I play, and temps rarely exceed 80C while using the macfancontrol utility.

Best bump in performance is to use MSI Afterburner to disable PowerPlay and raise max power +20. Couple this with macfancontrol and it will give you a solid 20% boost in performance in both single and CF games. Add a modest overclock to memory and GPU and you can eek out another 5% - in my experience memory has better impact than GPU speed. My d700s will clock to 1Ghz, however I stay at 950Mhz so I can safely stay at or under 80c for long durations.

I run a single display at 2560x1440 @ 75Hz over display port (TB Bus 0)

Games I play and performance I'm still seeing:

• Guild Wars 2: Between 40 - 65fps in most places. In large battles can drop to 30'ish but still very playable. I run this game with CF off and all settings at High except distance which is set to Ultra. CF works, but results in poorer performance than a single card.
  • World of Tanks: Between 40 - 65fps all settings maxed. CF off
  • World of Warships: Between 50 - 75fps all settings maxed. CF off
  • Black Desert Online: Between 55 - 70fps all settings High (don't forget to disable low power switch in display settings of this game. CF On - set to 1x1. Some flickering when switching between desktop and game, but quickly disappears.
  • Eve Online: 75fps solid all setting maxed. During large fleet battles it can drop to 30'ish. Very CPU dependent game. CF works well with this game "1x1". Launcher required an obscure system environment variable to be set before it would launch: (QT_OPENGL = desktop). **Update 8/16: Environment variable not required with latest launcher and 18.40 AMD bootcamp drivers.

• Final Fantasy XIV: 50-75fps using crossfire. Use CivilizationBE crossfire profile for almost perfect scaling!

• Elite Dangerous: 60-75fps max settings CF off

• Star Wars The Old Republic: 75+ fps using CF on 1x1, max settings

• Mech Warrior Online: 35-65fps max settings, CF off

Feel free to share your tips, tricks, and thoughts on keeping these systems playing for as long as possible! Also, please keep the discussion to Windows and bootcamp please. Plenty of other threads for native mac gaming already!

If your playing any games in bootcamp send me your config, screen resolution and low/high/avg frame rates and I'll post it here.

***Update 8/13

- AMD released 18.40.20.10 bootcamp drivers for the Mac Pro 6,1 and other systems. Works great on latest Windows 10 (1903)

- I have found a great way to manage system temps when using games in Crossfire! In some games like Eve Online, Final Fantasy XIV, and SWTOR i can hit 150FPS in CF configurations which can ramp the GPUs up into the mid 90c's - not ideal. I have been using RivaTuner to keep an overlay on showing CPU/GPU temps and FPS but had no idea it could act as a frame limiter until i read a good thread about it. It works great and even better in some cases than a games built in limiter! I was skeptical at first but have a good amount of experience with it and can absolutely recommend. Not a single issue in any game I've tried it with in terms of micro stutter, lag, or other ill effects.

Use RivaTuner's built in frame limiter to lower FPS to 1/2 monitor refresh rate. My HP Omen does 75Hz so i make an individual profile for each game i want to run in CF mode and set the limiter to 37fps. This works awesome and usually keeps the GPUs under 80c with plenty of headroom should it be needed. I game at 1440p. When using games with just 1 card, just set the "general" profile to "0" so your frames are not limited (only the ones you specify and run in CF).

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa and tsialex

sbarton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2001
Quick update -

I went back to the AMD official drivers from their website. They seem to run better for me than others i've tried and I've had no game compatibility issues with anything I play.

For those looking to overclock their d700's - I've had good luck with msi afterburner. Make sure you disable ULPC and Powerplay. If you don't your overclock will likely throttle significantly and you might actually loose performance. I also use +20 on the power slider to give it some headroom. I've been able to increase the core GPU clock to 1000mhz and VRAM to 1500Mhz with no stability issues whatsoever. Temps are still south of 80c in most cases and something like macfancontrol is really necessary to ramp up the fan during gaming - it works brilliantly.

Last edited:

Selsk

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2017
Oh cool. I will try them again with the overclock.... do you mean AMD drivers?

pierre1610

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
Hey, anyone still gaming on your trashcan?

I am, so I thought I'd start a post to share information about what games work, issues, tips and tricks. I'm not a huge gamer, but these days everything I do play is in Windows 10 on a bootcamp partition. Probably the biggest area for improvement is in bootcamp video drivers. Apple and AMD have clearly abandoned us on that front sadly.

I'm currently using drivers from bootcampdrivers.com (17.12.2). I tried several of the 18.x series drivers on this site but one of the games I play (eve online) wouldn't launch with any of them. Also, I've encountered multiple issues with various driver packages installing correctly. Best advice I can give is to absolutely use the latest DDU utility (outlined in the readme's) and run it in SAFE mode at least 2 times in a row (some recommend 3). The only issue I have seen with the 17.12.2 install is that it didn't load any gaming profiles. It's unclear to me if a AMD delivered game profile can/does set parameters for a game that can't be done in the settings interface. I've made profiles for all of the games I play to tweak various settings.

I also use MSI Afterburner to overclock when gaming. My d700s are currently clocked at 950 core and 1475 memory. No issues with heat management with anything I play, and temps rarely exceed 80C.

I run a single display at 2560x1440 @ 75Hz

Games I play and performance I'm still seeing:

• Guild Wars 2: Between 50 - 65fps in most places. In large battles can drop below 30'ish but still very playable. I run this game with CF off and all settings at High except distance which is set to Ultra. CF works, but results in poorer performance than a single card.
  • World of Tanks: Between 45 - 65fps all settings maxed. CF off
  • World of Warships: Between 50 - 75fps all settings maxed. CF off
  • Black Desert Online: Between 55 - 70fps all settings High (don't forget to disable low power switch in display settings of this game). CF On - set to 1x1. Some flickering when switching between desktop and game, but quickly disappears.
  • Eve Online: 75fps solid all setting maxed. During large fleet battles it can drop to 30'ish. Very CPU dependent game. I've recently gotten CF to work with this game. I'm waiting for a big battle to see if it helps at all and if it is stable. I'm thinking it won't and 1 D700 is more than enough. Note: I had to set an obscure system environment variable to even get this game to launch (QT_OPENGL = desktop).
Not too bad in 2018. I wish more games used CF correctly but SLI and CF are being depreciated in favor of more powerful single card solutions - great right?? lol

Feel free to share your tips, tricks, and thoughts on keeping these systems playing for as long as possible! Also, please keep the discussion to Windows and bootcamp please. Plenty of other threads for native mac gaming already!

Can Bootcamp be installed on a USB 3 drive yet on win 10? My 1tb internal drive space is needed for other things

Selsk

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2017
Can Bootcamp be installed on a USB 3 drive yet on win 10? My 1tb internal drive space is needed for other things
I'm not sure. I only have the 250GB which I split into Mac/Win evenly. Usb 3 5TB external for my other things.
[doublepost=1538412631][/doublepost]

Thanks for the advice! I had been using bootcampdrivers.com for so long, hoping each new update would increase my FPS in PUBG. I switched back to the AMD official drivers and am using MSI Afterburner Beta. My FPS in pubg almost doubled with forcing crossfire 1x1.

sbarton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2001

I don't think it works. There are several videos about how to hack it onto a USB device but I wouldn't bother. I tried it once and it worked great until I booted into OSX after which it became unusable. Perhaps someone here can give you better advice. If you need to reclaim the space, my recommendation would to buy an external TB drive or enclosure and stick an SSD in there. I usually need about 500gb for my windows 10 install and games.

sbarton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2001
I don't know what the D500s equate to - maybe HD7950 with 3gb. Easiet way to project peformance is to google benchmarks on windo
I'm not sure. I only have the 250GB which I split into Mac/Win evenly. Usb 3 5TB external for my other things.

Thanks for the advice! I had been using bootcampdrivers.com for so long, hoping each new update would increase my FPS in PUBG. I switched back to the AMD official drivers and am using MSI Afterburner Beta. My FPS in pubg almost doubled with forcing crossfire 1x1.

Thats great news - can you share your screen resolution and low/high/average FPS and I will add that to the top of the thread.

mhd2100

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2016

18.10.1 seems to restore overclocking capabilities again. Worth a try?

Selsk

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2017
I don't know what the D500s equate to - maybe HD7950 with 3gb. Easiet way to project peformance is to google benchmarks on windo

Thats great news - can you share your screen resolution and low/high/average FPS and I will add that to the top of the thread.

Sure I'm playing native on my 27" monitor with only 60hz. 2560x1440
55 low fps sometimes while driving etc. 97 on the high side. Average about 77. Not bad for such a high res. If I switch to 1080 then my fps is over 100.

My MSI afterburner settings for the d500s:
Power Limit +20
Core Clock 944
Memory Clock 1443

Running crossfire is not perfect for PUBG but it works. For example in the Lobby / Menus I get flickering. And some buttons are missing until you mouse over them etc. But once in game everything is fine!

sbarton

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2001
Updated main post with new AMD bootcamp driver info and a great way to limit heat when using Crossfire. Added a couple of titles i have been playing.

Selsk

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2017
Updated main post with new AMD bootcamp driver info and a great way to limit heat when using Crossfire.

Cool, do you mean you notice it just runs cooler or?

edit: Ahh I see, you are frame limiting. Cool, I'll check it out thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.