Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Yes, they'll work with the 40D. :)

I'd recommend the 100mm since it gives you more working distance, and it's reviewed as an amazing lens, very sharp and well built. AFAIK, the 60mm lens only does real macro (1:1) with an optional accessory. You might also want to look at the Sigma 105mm Macro lens, which has gotten some pretty great reviews as well.

After seeing many, many pics online, I'd personally go with the Canon 100mm macro.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
Yes, they'll work with the 40D. :)

I'd recommend the 100mm since it gives you more working distance, and it's reviewed as an amazing lens, very sharp and well built. AFAIK, the 60mm lens only does real macro (1:1) with an optional accessory. You might also want to look at the Sigma 105mm Macro lens, which has gotten some pretty great reviews as well.

After seeing many, many pics online, I'd personally go with the Canon 100mm macro.

The 60mm f/2.8 does do full 1:1 macro. It is the 50mm f/2.8 Macro that does not do full 1:1 out of the box. I would also recommend the 100mm macro though, more room to work with, I found the 60mm too short for working with insects but perfect for plants/flowers. All the 3rd party lenses also are fantastic from reviews I've read, you really can't go wrong, all are tack sharp otherwise no one would think of purchasing them.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I'd recommend the 100mm since it gives you more working distance, and it's reviewed as an amazing lens, very sharp and well built. AFAIK, the 60mm lens only does real macro (1:1) with an optional accessory.

Have a look at Canon's website: 50mm macro, 60mm macro, and 100mm macro.

The 60mm and 100mm macro both do 1:1 out of the box; the 50mm requires an extender for that.

Having said that, my personal recommendation would be to join the chorus for the 100mm. Longer working distance is good for insects, and if you decide to go full frame down the road, you can take it with you. The 60mm isn't a bad lens, just that I'm not a fan of EF-S except where no reasonable alternative exists (ie: the 10-22mm, 17-55mm f/2.8, 17-85mm.)

My personal inclination is towards Canon rather than third party, because the Canon macro focuses internally; I understand (but I could be wrong) that the third party macros extend when focusing, which normally isn't a big deal, but on a macro, I think it is. Check before you buy.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
My personal inclination is towards Canon rather than third party, because the Canon macro focuses internally; I understand (but I could be wrong) that the third party macros extend when focusing, which normally isn't a big deal, but on a macro, I think it is. Check before you buy.

Oooh, great reminder, I forgot about that one, that is a really big deal especially in Macro w/ bugs. I haven't used a 3rd party Macro in a while, I guess I forgot about the shots I missed b/c of the extending focus spooking some little critters and also the length they extend to is too much IMO compared to the Internal focusing 100mm Canon.

summero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
Sweet! I was leaning more towards the 60mm lens, but since everyone is saying the 100mm, I think I'll check that one out.

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
Sweet! I was leaning more towards the 60mm lens, but since everyone is saying the 100mm, I think I'll check that one out.

For the small extra cost the 100mm is so much better. It is versatile to. It is a great portrait lens.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
The 60mm f/2.8 does do full 1:1 macro. It is the 50mm f/2.8 Macro that does not do full 1:1 out of the box.

Sorry, I mixed them up. My bad! :eek:

Try searching PBase for pictures taken with the lenses you're considering, and see if they measure up. And yes, sjl brought up an excellent point. Internal focus is better for macros because bugs don't get scared and run/jump/fly off.

valiar

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
The Sigma 50mm EX DG Macro (both the old f3.5 and the new f2.8 versions) is an excellent lens. Possibly the best Sigma makes.
I have never used it in Nikon mount, but it should be the same on any camera.

form

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
in a country
I had a Tamron 90mm and liked the image quality very much. However, I sold it and bought a more-necessary hot shoe flash instead, and then assembled a hand-made extension tube for use with my EF 50mm f/1.8 II (or Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8)

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=373434

If I was serious in macro photography, I'd get the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 that multiplies from 1:1 to 5:1. However, then I'd need a macroring or other macro-specific flash unit, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.