Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilotgeorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2022
I just bought a Canon Rebel XSi body. I want to take real closeup shots, like a coin filling the field, or a grasshopper leg showing the details.
Can anyone suggest a good [but not crazy expensive] lens?

Will appreciate all comments.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I just bought a Canon Rebel XSi body. I want to take real closeup shots, like a coin filling the field, or a grasshopper leg showing the details.
Can anyone suggest a good [but not crazy expensive] lens?

Will appreciate all comments.
Nothing fancy nor expensive, but still a very sharp macro lens: Canon Macro lens EF 100mm f/2.8 USM.

You can use EF lenses on both the Rebel-series as well as the full-frame Canon cameras. EF-S lenses don't worth with full-frame Canon cameras, and sooner or later you will end-up switching to full frame cameras (5D, 6D series). Also, EF lenses work quite well with the newer mirrorless cameras (R, R3, R5, and R6).

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
when i shot canon i used the canon 100. loved it.
I still used it with my R6. I only have one lens that is designed for the Canon R-series (mirrorless), and that's the RF 100-500mm. The rest are EF lenses, and an ultra wide 16-28mm Tokina that I use for taking photos of the Auroras. The EF lenses work perfectly "adapted" to the R6.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Not crazy expensive? The other question is how often will use it to take pictures of grasshopper legs, etc. as a side benefit, the 100mm macro doubles as an excellent portrait lens. To limit cost, consider the used marker (KEH, B&H, etc), and one Canon shooter I know buys his lens direct from Canon refurbished, so check their website for refurb offerings. With the shift to R lens, should be more and more EF lens on the used market.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Not crazy expensive? The other question is how often will use it to take pictures of grasshopper legs, etc. as a side benefit, the 100mm macro doubles as an excellent portrait lens. To limit cost, consider the used marker (KEH, B&H, etc), and one Canon shooter I know buys his lens direct from Canon refurbished, so check their website for refurb offerings. With the shift to R lens, should be more and more EF lens on the used market.
The 100mm macro I referred to is not the IS version. It's not longer made, but can be purchased "used." It cost around $400.00 in new condition several years ago. The IS version costs over $1,200, and perhaps $800.00 used in E condition at Adorama. The non-IS one should cost around $300.00 used in good condition. But what is surprising is that Canon EF lenses haven't comedown in price very much. It could be because the Canon adapters work quite well with EF and other lenses designed for DSLR cameras, even non-IS lenses like the ones I have.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This one:

It will last you for many years, will be good with APS-c, full-frame DSLR, AND just as good with a Canon R series mirrorless when you get one.

Canon refurbished with a 1-year Canon warranty.

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
The 100mm macro I referred to is not the IS version. It's not longer made, but can be purchased "used." It cost around $400.00 in new condition several years ago. The IS version costs over $1,200, and perhaps $800.00 used in E condition at Adorama. The non-IS one should cost around $300.00 used in good condition. But what is surprising is that Canon EF lenses haven't comedown in price very much. It could be because the Canon adapters work quite well with EF and other lenses designed for DSLR cameras, even non-IS lenses like the ones I have.
I second the recommendation of this lens. I have one and it's been an excellent lens at a good price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.