Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Just thought I'd share some photos I've taken yesterday and today and edited... a lot. :)

I've added the original photos too, their not that great but I only have a hand held sony cybershot camera at the moment. Trying to save up for a DSLR with macro lens but its just so expensive.

Check them out on flickr too

Attachments

• Final - Compressed.jpg
    Final - Compressed.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Close Up - Compressed.jpg
    Close Up - Compressed.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC04103.JPG
    DSC04103.JPG
    669.9 KB · Views: 83

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
And a few more, the originals are the ones without borders.

They are fairly high res so its best to click them to view them better :)

Attachments

• Close up Edited - Compressed.jpg
    Close up Edited - Compressed.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC04163.JPG
    DSC04163.JPG
    586.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Edited - Compressed.jpg
    Edited - Compressed.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC04146.JPG
    DSC04146.JPG
    568.2 KB · Views: 73

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
I like them... similar to my shot posted on Photo of the Day May. post 623 :p http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=172374&d=1243180207

I love my Macro lens, coupled with a Samsung GX10 gives amazing sharpness and quality. 98% of my Photo library is Macro and it's growing each week ( over 1,100 Photo's now ).

You'll never regret purchasing a DSLR, you've so many options to choose from on the market and the technologies are advancing every year.

P.M me is you would like any info on Macro Photography , I never get bored of it :). From what you few shots, I can see you will be good at it...

NStocks

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I like them... similar to my shot posted on Photo of the Day May. post 623 :p http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=172374&d=1243180207

I love my Macro lens, coupled with a Samsung GX10 gives amazing sharpness and quality. 98% of my Photo library is Macro and it's growing each week ( over 1,100 Photo's now ).

You'll never regret purchasing a DSLR, you've so many options to choose from on the market and the technologies are advancing every year.

P.M me is you would like any info on Macro Photography , I never get bored of it :). From what you few shots, I can see you will be good at it...

NStocks

Cool, very similar photo! I got a soft black material (sennheiser headphone case :p ) as a backdrop. Massive definition in the image.

I really would like a canon DSLR, probably the 1000D as its the cheapest and not much difference between that and slightly better models.

Thanks for the offer, I certainly will contact you :)

This is the second macro shoot for me, well not really a shoot.. a few photos.
My first was with a black and white film...

I looked at Karl Blossfeldt's work which inspired me a bit. :)
Large_WL_Photo_Karl%20Blossfeldt%20056.jpg

Luke.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Put them to good use haha :p
Its actually a nice sequence, especially for a first attempt and not very good original photos...

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 77

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
A couple of tester sequences.

Anyone any ideas how to get them printed well? The solid blacks would be hard to get in physical form but vital?

Attachments

• Sequence.jpg
    Sequence.jpg
    972.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Square Sequence.jpg
    Square Sequence.jpg
    971.8 KB · Views: 90

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Just gone out and done a few more, not as good but the colours are cool :cool:
Their not that sharp but I can only do so much in natural conditions with a point and shoot camera

Attachments

• Colourful Circle Plant Close Up + Logo.jpg
    Colourful Circle Plant Close Up + Logo.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Colourful Circle Plant + Logo.jpg
    Colourful Circle Plant + Logo.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Colourful Circle Plant Close Up.jpg
    Colourful Circle Plant Close Up.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Colourful Circle Plant.jpg
    Colourful Circle Plant.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 85

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Nice shots, the color is very vibrant and well saturated. What are you using as a Backdrop, or have you edited it in CS ?

I actually shot a series like this myself a few days ago ;)

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Heres the original photos.
Few mins of shooting + few mins of editing = Result :p

I'm using a sennheiser case I got with my headphones, it's just to get a dark base which I can burn in in Photoshop.

Bit of sharpening, toning, layer up some layers, tweak levels, unsharp mask, masking layers, burning in and painting black then a few odd things. Just play really haha

Nice shots, the color is very vibrant and well saturated. What are you using as a Backdrop, or have you edited it in CS ?

I actually shot a series like this myself a few days ago ;)

I'd like to see that shoot :p Flickr! :)

Attachments

• DSC04203.JPG
    DSC04203.JPG
    685 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC04207.JPG
    DSC04207.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 81

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Got me an insect haha
And a green plant...

Not very good but I didn't have a 'green' one :p

Attachments

• Green Plant.jpg
    Green Plant.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Insect.jpg
    Insect.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 81

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
Got me an insect haha
And a green plant...

Not very good but I didn't have a 'green' one :p

Like it !

... The black backgrouns really gives the green a ' punch '

Just out of curiosity, how do you change the background, it seems very sharp against the edges asif it was shot like that...

Nathan

taintedwheat

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Really great shots, especially considering it was with a P&S :eek:
I've always like Cybershots. If you don't mind me asking, what model is the camera that you have?

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Like it !

... The black backgrounds really gives the green a ' punch '

Just out of curiosity, how do you change the background, it seems very sharp against the edges asif it was shot like that...

Nathan

Cheers... maybe next time it'll be a grass hopper or a wasp :p

As for the background... I love it, you know when you come across a style you like and stick with it for a bit.... thats this :p

I'll run through the procedure I do quickly, if you have any question just ask :) Glad to help.

1 - Open in the image in PS, unlock the background layer

2 - sharpen the image a tiny bit with a slight unsharp mask

3 - I normally see what happens if I auto-tone the image.. sometimes its good sometimes its bad but don;t edit the levels yet.

4 - duplicate the image layer and then set the new image layer to multiply with the old image layer. Change the opacity of the new multiplying layer to about 40% (or w/e works with your image). You can also edit the levels a bit

5 - Now the blackness :) I made a 3rd layer on top, filled it pure black then created a mask over that you then want to use this masking layer to dodge the image part you want to keep. I normally make the black layer 'invisible', select roughly the part of the image I want to keep with the lasso tool, invert the selection, make the black mask visible again (so the page is black) then invert the selection, click on the mask layer and then press delete so that the photo should then be viewable with a rough black background hiding most of the photo.

6 - use the 'burn' tool on the bottom image layer and make sure you've got an appropriate brush size, set the exposure to 100%, select 'shadows'. Because I used a black piece of card of something behind each image it will only burn in the dark parts. burn around the edges of the photo then repeat this until its alright... you may also want to burn the multiplying layer once or twice. Then you can just tweak it and mess around with saturation (if you even need it as multiplying adds a lot of vibrance and depth).

I hope thats clear lol. You know if you use a really low f stop it can black the background anyway but I like this method :p just something I made up from playing :cool:

Really great shots, especially considering it was with a P&S :eek:
I've always like Cybershots. If you don't mind me asking, what model is the camera that you have?

Cheers :D
It was a sony cybershot dsc - W80
7.1mp
It's a couple of years old and its pretty damn awesome... recently got another cybershot for my older bro but wasn't as good even though it was much newer :/

Luke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.