Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
I’m just curious if others would have any interest if Apple offered a new Magic Keyboard but without the trackpad? For my personal uses on my M1 iPad Pro 12.9 I do not find the trackpad that useful, or at least I rarely use it. And the additional space occupied by the trackpad positions the whole device further away from me. I frequently resort to my Smart Keyboard folio but then I miss the illuminated keys and adjustable tilt of the ipad. So I wouldn’t suggest that Apple get rid of a trackpad Magic Keyboard but perhaps offer one with and one without at a lower price if such a device would sell.

One consideration that could be an impediment to such an idea is that the weight of the ipad being raised above the keyboard could be more of an issue without the additional stability of the extended base that the trackpad incorporates.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I do own a Magic Keyboard with trackpad for my 12.9" MacBook Pro. I actually wish the trackpad was larger. But, I've owned older iPads with the Smart Keyboard, and there are times that I miss it for use on my current iPad.

That said, I do like OP's idea of illumination, and the ability for screen angles angles.

papbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 19, 2015
That said, I do like OP's idea of illumination, and the ability for screen angles angles.
I have to say if they released that whether it would be a Magic Keyboard or considered something else entirely I’d buy it immediately. I like the trackpad and understand why others would want it, but it’s not something I use that often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.