Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Romanesco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
New York City
Hi there,
Anyone else having issues with their Magic Mouse 2 on the new Mac Pro (2019)? It's pretty often that it disconnects or lags on my end. Reseting PRAM, SMC and reinstalling the system did not help. Any other suggestions?

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
I had insensitivity problems with my 7,2's MM2 develop a bit after it was new. It worked wonderfully well at first. Then after a few weeks, it lost sensitivity in the "nose" - the part closest to the computer. A week or so later, it began freezing randomly. Then it was time to turn it off & back on. That mostly worked.

So I called Apple and talked to a rep who I'm now convinced had never seen a 7,2. He didn't have any suggestions, but decided I needed to swap my mouse for a new one.

The new mouse arrived with a different color scheme from the original - it still has a black top, but a much darker grey underneath. It seems to work a little better. At the suggestion of one of the web site members here (sorry I forgot who) I moved my DEST 6.0 wireless phone base a few feet further away from the computer case.

After several weeks there have been no more freezes (new mouse or moved phone?) don't know which and it's a pain to move the phone back where it was to see if the freezes would return.

The sensitivity remains less than desirable. The nose of the mouse is still numb. If I want to swipe sideways and have it work more often than not, I need to stroke it on top, about halfway from front to rear. Even then it doesn't always do its thing. Brushing either way (up, down or sideways) near the nose has no effect.

Maybe I'll need to try the Logitech MX Master 3?

Tom
[automerge]1585958249[/automerge]
It looks as if there are a couple of threads about this in the Apple web site:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2236304?page=1

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204621

Note that interference from 2.4gHz devices or maybe even secondary monitors can cause some problems.

I couldn't find anything about sensitivity...

Tom

Last edited:

jack070767

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2018
I had same problems with the Apple mouse and my cMP 5.1.
Solved by buyng logithec mouse and radio USB Key receiver inserted in separate dock at cm.30 from cabinet of cMP.

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
I had insensitivity problems with my 7,2's MM2 develop a bit after it was new. It worked wonderfully well at first. Then after a few weeks, it lost sensitivity in the "nose" - the part closest to the computer. A week or so later, it began freezing randomly. Then it was time to turn it off & back on. That mostly worked.

So I called Apple and talked to a rep who I'm now convinced had never seen a 7,2. He didn't have any suggestions, but decided I needed to swap my mouse for a new one.

The new mouse arrived with a different color scheme from the original - it still has a black top, but a much darker grey underneath. It seems to work a little better. At the suggestion of one of the web site members here (sorry I forgot who) I moved my DEST 6.0 wireless phone base a few feet further away from the computer case.

After several weeks there have been no more freezes (new mouse or moved phone?) don't know which and it's a pain to move the phone back where it was to see if the freezes would return.

The sensitivity remains less than desirable. The nose of the mouse is still numb. If I want to swipe sideways and have it work more often than not, I need to stroke it on top, about halfway from front to rear. Even then it doesn't always do its thing. Brushing either way (up, down or sideways) near the nose has no effect.

Maybe I'll need to try the Logitech MX Master 3?

Tom
[automerge]1585958249[/automerge]
It looks as if there are a couple of threads about this in the Apple web site:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2236304?page=1

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204621

Note that interference from 2.4gHz devices or maybe even secondary monitors can cause some problems.

I couldn't find anything about sensitivity...

Tom

I’ve never used the Magic Mouse coming with my 7.1 but I have the exact same issues on my Logitech MX performance(the older version). It was happening from time to time also on my old 6.1. Most likely it’s some interference, it happens randomly so I was never able to diagnose the source of the problem, quite often turning off/on the mouse solve the issue, also moving the USB receiver to other ports help.

s66

Suspended
Dec 12, 2016
I've had trouble with a laggy magic mouse on my MP7,1 a few days after I received it
Drove me next to crazy. Nothing seemed to help, dis/re-connecting the bluetooth, reboot the mac, ...
I was about to look for an old magic mouse that I knew worked properly to be able to demand Apple send me a new mouse when I turned the mouse itself off and on again: problem instantly solved and never returned so far.

Reactions: OkiRun

jack070767

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2018
I’ve never used the Magic Mouse coming with my 7.1 but I have the exact same issues on my Logitech MX performance(the older version). It was happening from time to time also on my old 6.1. Most likely it’s some interference, it happens randomly so I was never able to diagnose the source of the problem, quite often turning off/on the mouse solve the issue, also moving the USB receiver to other ports help.
You have to install the USB receiver on USB cable extender and put the receiver at least cm 50 far to the cabinet.

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
The receiver is already 100cm away from the MP, it’s installed on the LG monitor USB port. If that was the problem I expect that it shows constantly but it is random. Anyway will try an extender and see what happens.

Reactions: jack070767

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
I just did a MacOS "refresh" - the PC rebooted itself at least three times, and it took nearly ten minutes. Interestingly, the Catalina version number remained at 10.15.4

It became available to me within the last hour, so it might not have reached everyone yet.

Maybe it's just me, but the Magic Mouse 2 seems to be a little more sensitive toward the front. I'll report back later if the improvement is genuine or not after a bunch more usage.

Tom

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
Based on my experiences...

1. Bluetooth connection issue
- as the op stated, magic mouse is connected to MP by bluetooth.
- so far, I haven't experienced any bluetooth issues on my deivces. MP is differ so I'm not sure.
2. USB cord or USB dongle wirelessly to device
- this is common issue among all devices I've encountered.
- Mac Mini has this weird issue where if connected to certain USB slots, I get tons of lag while the other slot it's no issue.
- My Macbook Pro 16 with Caldigit T3 hub. If I connect wired mouse to the hub, I get lag. But I get no lag when I connect the mouse directly to the laptop.

They are annoying as hell, but I'm not sure if any of above is eligible for repair.

Romanesco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
New York City
I have fixed my lag issue by moving the Wi-Fi router to another location within the same room. So far, this is my most probable explanation and solution for those that might be having this issue as well.

rtd2912

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2020
I realized that my plantronics headset next to the magic 2 mouse was causing this issue. Just moved the headset base station to the other end of the desk solved this problem.

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
Followup to my post above: I bought and installed a Logitech MX Master 3. For me it is not perfect, but much more usable than the Apple Magic Mouse. The functions are controlled by honest-to-goodness buttons and wheels. For me, the result of spinning a roller is much more predictable than a "swipe."

The "swipe" was not as predictable - sometimes it did exactly what I intended for it to do, other times not by over- or under- responding. Also the sensitivity of the mouse's surface seemed to vary, both by location and by response to touch. Apple's replacement mouse was in sum a disappointment.

The MX Master 3 isn't perfect - the vaunted scrolling is a bit unpredictable by over- or under- responding. Still haven't got that figured out. The buttons are very consistent, though, and that's a big plus for me.

Your preferences may lead you to a different conclusion, which is definitely OK.

Tom

Theophilos

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
California
+1 for the Logitech MX Master 3. I don't bother with Apple mice anymore, since the Logitech mice offer more functionality for the same or lower price. They recently released an MX Master 3 specifically for Mac:

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
I am experiencing the same problem with both the Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad 2.
It's really annoying. However, the Trackpad is far worse.

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
I have fixed my lag issue by moving the Wi-Fi router to another location within the same room. So far, this is my most probable explanation and solution for those that might be having this issue as well.
I am outisde now. (No wifi or other devices). For now I cannot feel any crazy Trackpad 2 lags like previously anmore. (my router was 1m away from my Trackpad btw.). Will observe and further update on this issue.

Check also this thread for further discussion on the same topic:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.