Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
I bought an iMac a week ago and it came with a Magic Mouse 2. The design is attractive and I like that it has some features of a trackpad as well however the build is crap. I'm not sure if the top is made of glass or plastic but whatever it is it's a scratch magnet... You don't see the scratches unless the mouse is under a strong light source however the small, hair-thin like scratches are there and I'm mad at Apple for that!!! The two rubber stripes under the mouse also get worn out easily and I've barely used the mouse! An 80 dollar/euro mouse should be more resistant!!! What should I do? Buy another one? Scratches drive me mad!

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Personally I have never found the design particularly ergonomic to my own personal preference, but I wouldn’t say the build or materials were sub par. Unfortunately micro scratches are pretty much unavoidable with use for everything bar perhaps diamond.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Somehow I have never felt the need to closely examine my Magic Mouse 2 for potential scratches...... I just use the thing, day in and day out, and it does the job. No issues with the rubber stripes on the bottom, either. When it needs to be recharged I get a warning and I plug the thing in for that purpose as needed. It is not meant to be a museum piece.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
Maybe I've OCD. They should make the glass or whatever more scratch resistant and the rubbers more resistant to stress. When I look at the rubbers I can see scratches and "patches" which are now a different shade of black due to sliding the mouse on the desk and I tell you my desk is polished wood and super clean I tidy up everyday so dust particles are minimal. I just want to go to an Apple Store to throw the damn mouse at them and ask for a full refund and a new mouse. What if I buy a new one and the same happens? It's 80$€... but for a piece of garbage! Yes it's not a museum piece but should not wear out so fast with so little use.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
Maybe I've OCD. They should make the glass or whatever more scratch resistant and the rubbers more resistant to stress. When I look at the rubbers I can see scratches and "patches" which are now a different shade of black due to sliding the mouse on the desk and I tell you my desk is polished wood and super clean I tidy up everyday so dust particles are minimal. I just want to go to an Apple Store to throw the damn mouse at them and ask for a full refund and a new mouse. What if I buy a new one and the same happens? It's 80$€... but for a piece of garbage! Yes it's not a museum piece but should not wear out so fast with so little use.

The new one will scratch too so why bother. It is a device that is to be used and those things do scratch. Just ignore it and move on.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Ever hear of mouse pads? Although I know one can use the Magic Mouse 2 without a mouse pad, I use one because my computer desk is glass. I'd use one if my desk were wood, too, actually. I just prefer to have something between the mouse and the bare surface of whatever desk or table I'm using -- years of habit, I suppose, from the old days when a mouse pad was absolutely necessary.

Reactions: Ifti and kubay

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017

I'm not a cognitive psychologist, and I have not worked with the DSM since the 4th revision, but the degree of detail you just provided, and the extent that this seems to bother you, indeed seems to have at least obsessive characteristics.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
I think Apple products are more than just "tools" but also design pieces hence why I get mad so to speak when I see a scratch on one of them. My iMac is as much a piece of design as is my chair or desk, etc. Moreover if I ever plan to resell them they'll be more valuable if they've got no scratches or only very few. As to the mouse pads that would ruin my set up I find them unaesthetic.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I think Apple products are more than just "tools" but also design pieces hence why I get mad so to speak when I see a scratch on one of them...if I ever plan to resell them they'll be more valuable if they've got no scratches or only very few.

They're tools first and design pieces second. If you just want to look at them, encase them in glass and look at them. If you need to use them, you're needlessly getting yourself worked up over something that has much less real value than you're imagining.

Let's say you want to sell your totally unblemished iMac in two years year and I want to sell mine that has a few dings in it, but is otherwise in perfect running order. You'll get more money for yours, but something like 10 to 15% more. People care most that it works fine. If you sell it four years from now, the expectation is fully that it'll have blemishes. You may get nothing more. Most people buying 4 year old iMacs don't care about dings and you won't get much reward for having a perfect one.

You might think I'm one of those guys who beats the crap out of his gear and everything looks trashed by the time I'm done, but you'd be wrong. I don't baby my gear and I've resold many of my old Macs at the high end of the cosmetic scale. There are some light scuffs and occasionally a small scratch... and it doesn't matter to the buyer.

To be honest, I do sometimes fret about keeping my gear in amazing condition, but I've learned that it's too much of a burden. Obsessing about keeping my gear in pristine condition prevents me from fully enjoying my gear or using it to its full potential. I didn't buy this stuff so I could fawn over it. It makes me happy to create and learn with my gear. It doesn't make me happy to have to be its caretaker.

On the other hand, if it makes you happy to baby your gear... well, do it. If it drives you crazy, let it go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifti

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Buy a 3rd-party mouse and be done with it.

I haven't used an Apple mouse since the introduction of USB (back around 1998, I think)...

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I would hardly call anything in perfect working condition “worn out.”

Also, I have never inspected the bottom of any mouse unless it needed new batteries or had some dirt impeding the movement.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I think Apple products are more than just "tools" but also design pieces hence why I get mad so to speak when I see a scratch on one of them. My iMac is as much a piece of design as is my chair or desk, etc. Moreover if I ever plan to resell them they'll be more valuable if they've got no scratches or only very few. As to the mouse pads that would ruin my set up I find them unaesthetic.

Do you actually USE your setup or just admire it from afar? LOL! In my situation, because the surface of my desk is glass, it is necessary to use a mousepad, aesthetics or no aesthetics...... Thing is, though, the mouse pad actually contributes to the overall visual impact. Why? It is not just any mousepad, it is one which I bought years ago at Apple's Company Store in Cupertino: a circular pad in orange (my favorite color) with of course the white Apple logo.....it quite nicely complements the Mac with which it is used.....

kubay

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2017
Warsaw, Poland

Mousepads can looks great. There are few minimalist mousepads on the market.
They can also protect plastic stripes under the mouse and of course your table.
I don't like to see scratches on my IKEA table...

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2017
I do actually use my setup but I also like to admire it from afar.
I guess I'll end up just buying a new one when this one gets too scratched and worn out or perhaps only when a new version of the mouse comes out.
As for the mousepads I'd only buy one if designed by Apple.
Logitech mices are ugly.

Last edited:

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Buy a 3rd-party mouse and be done with it.

I haven't used an Apple mouse since the introduction of USB (back around 1998, I think)...

So proud! Your loss.

I'm sure there are third party mice with touch gestures out there but I love my Magic Mouse 2 with BetterTouchTool. When I have to use my Windows notebook with a Logitech mouse I constantly catch myself trying to invoke nonexistent gestures.

I also have relatively large hands and no ergonomic complaints. To each their own.

Reactions: Ifti

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Sushi wrote:
"I'm sure there are third party mice with touch gestures out there but I love my Magic Mouse 2 with BetterTouchTool. When I have to use my Windows notebook with a Logitech mouse I constantly catch myself trying to invoke nonexistent gestures."

Gestures?
They are THE LAST THING I want on a pointing device.

One of the first things I did when I got my 2015 MacBook Pro was to go to the "trackpad" preference pane and DISABLE EVERYTHING with the exception of "left click" and "right click".

That's all I need and the gestures just confuse this old guy. Too may "unwanted responses" with the trackpad. Thanks, but no thanks... ;)

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
That's all I need and the gestures just confuse this old guy. Too may "unwanted responses" with the trackpad. Thanks, but no thanks... ;)

Well, to each their own as I said. :p

I actually find one, two and three-finger gestures on the Magic Mouse 2 to be quite reliable, close to 100% accurate in regular usage. Four-finger gestures not so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.