Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
gunk-magic-mouse.jpeg

This is Linmon table top & magic mouse. The gunk makes the mouse movement slower. Do I need a mouse pad for my office table ?

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
View attachment 853419

This is Linmon table top & magic mouse. The gunk makes the mouse movement slower. Do I need a mouse pad for my office table ?
I had the original MM and it took a long time For gunk to build up to similar levels.
The gunk is coming from somewhere. Have you tried cleaning the desk once a week (with cleaner appropriate for the surface)? Do you have sweaty hands? If so, wash them every couple of hours. I tend to touch my face while I work and the oils transfer to the keys of my MBP, so I wash my hands every so often.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
I had the original MM and it took a long time For gunk to build up to similar levels.
The gunk is coming from somewhere. Have you tried cleaning the desk once a week (with cleaner appropriate for the surface)? Do you have sweaty hands? If so, wash them every couple of hours. I tend to touch my face while I work and the oils transfer to the keys of my MBP, so I wash my hands every so often.
I don't sweat much at home, if at all. There is dirt in the atmosphere though, it's India.
I clean my desk not very often, once a month maybe. But that never made any difference. Whether I clean or not, the frequency of gunk accumulation is forever constant. The only think I'm yet to try is a mouse pad, which I'll do. I'm looking at amazonbasics extended pad. Hope it works.

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
I don't sweat much at home, if at all. There is dirt in the atmosphere though, it's India.
I clean my desk not very often, once a month maybe. But that never made any difference. Whether I clean or not, the frequency of gunk accumulation is forever constant. The only think I'm yet to try is a mouse pad, which I'll do. I'm looking at amazonbasics extended pad. Hope it works.
:) Hope that sorts it out for you!

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
Ordered one this afternoon. I'll post my findings, in case anyone else might end up in my situation in future. :)

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
Bough the AmazonBasics extended mouse pad. The magic mouse felt even sticker on the pad surface. Decided to stick cello tape at the feet of the pads and then it was smooth. But the mouse pad had abrasive edges and felt uncomfortable for casual resting hands. So decided to throw not use it. Now back to square one, but with cello tape at bottom. With one day of use, the cello tape became full of scratches. Still looking for solution.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
How hard do you push downward on the Magic Mouse? I have MM v2 everywhere I have/use a Mac (home, office, home office, etc)... I do see the gunk build-up from time to time, but other than a bit of "drag", I don't notice it becoming "slow in movement". I just scratch the gunk off the little pads un the underside of the mouse with a fingernail, and go on about my business. I guess for me, I don't see it as a problem that requires any real effort to solve. YMMV.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
How hard do you push downward on the Magic Mouse?
That is a very weird question. Also I meant the same thing you did; 'drag'.

Anyways, bought a metal(Aluminium) mouse pad. And it's perfect. No gunk whatsoever and glides like knife on butter.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
That is a very weird question. Also I meant the same thing you did; 'drag'.

Anyways, bought a metal(Aluminium) mouse pad. And it's perfect. No gunk whatsoever and glides like knife on butter.

My question had to do with downward pressure on the mouse... as I said, I have no serious issue... the gunk that builds up is no different from the baby dust bunnies that used to accumulate inside the roller ball on the old 'ball' mice...

I'm just trying to understand how the MM/MM2 gets to the point that makes the "mouse movement slower". No offense was intended... it was an honest inquiry.

Sovon Halder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
India
None taken. :) Pressure is only as much as it takes to do a click I guess. Anywho, metal mouse pad rocks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.