Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RenatoBB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
My magic mouse is totally unstable after I inserted an external SSD in the USB3 with the HighSierra. The cursor does not move sometimes. I have to keep it near the machine (Mac Mini Late2012). I already moved the SSD from far away of the magic mouse and I also disabled the "Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud" option and all remains the same.

Thanks in advance for any help.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
:)

So, the issue will be fixed only if I change the enclosure? If so, could you suggest a better brand? Thanks.
It's common that USB 3.0 devices can interfere with bluetooth devices. Start with trying a different, high quality cable, and also by relocating the enclosure. Sometimes a small change in position can have a big effect on bluetooth performance.

Reactions: RenatoBB

RenatoBB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
It's common that USB 3.0 devices can interfere with bluetooth devices. Start with trying a different, high quality cable, and also by relocating the enclosure. Sometimes a small change in position can have a big effect on bluetooth performance.

I forgot to say that I also have an external Seagate HD that use another USB port. Could this be the problem too?

JacekSD

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2017
San Diego, CA
I wonder if this is is really interference between BT and USB3 cables. My setup is different. I don't like my magic 2 mouse so I have replaced is with an old Razer Mamba wired mouse. The mouse is connected to iMac 2017 5K that has also a Samsung SSD T5 500 connected through USB3.1 C cable. I experience the same problems with the mouse cursor. It freezes from time to time for a second or two. If I disconnect the SSD drive the problem goes away. I run Sierra, not High Sierra and I think the problem got worse after the latest security patch (April?). So I just wonder if the problem is the SSD driver as it is the only common element between our setups.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I wonder if this is is really interference between BT and USB3 cables. My setup is different. I don't like my magic 2 mouse so I have replaced is with an old Razer Mamba wired mouse. The mouse is connected to iMac 2017 5K that has also a Samsung SSD T5 500 connected through USB3.1 C cable. I experience the same problems with the mouse cursor. It freezes from time to time for a second or two. If I disconnect the SSD drive the problem goes away. I run Sierra, not High Sierra and I think the problem got worse after the latest security patch (April?). So I just wonder if the problem is the SSD driver as it is the only common element between our setups.

It could be the interference as proposed. Or it could be essentially a bandwidth issue. Communication is essentially all passing through a “hub”.

There is essentially a traffic cop sitting there deciding who gets how much time at the intersection. And perhaps the higher speed drives are getting more access to the resources, and perhaps compared to the flow of data to and from your drive, the mouse may be put on hold as less important at the moment.

The traffic cop says wait here, I got a high speed train flowing down this route. Ok... now it’s your turn.

While the USB C bus is high bandwidth. The reality is that packets of information take turns flowing down one wire. It’s not really able to have multiple devices talking on one wire simultaneously. Everything takes turns. How long is this device waiting for its turn? That’s up to the controller.

Picture trying to run oil and water through a hose simultaneously and expecting it not to get mixed together. It’s not going to come out the other end separately and usable.

But, you can put packets of water and oil separately through the hose (theoretically) and label them as to where they go. And as each packet gets to the other side, the controller with look at the labels and sort the oil to the oil bucket and water to the water bucket.

But... that controller can also talk to the other end and tell the sender that it wants more packets of oil and less packets of water right now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.