Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Novice74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2019
So here's a long running mystery I've faced. For several years now my Macbook Air charges perfectly in Russia. Yet every year when i go to Spain I have problems. At first it charges. Then some days it charges, but others it doesn't. Eventually it just stops charging altogether. I return to Russia and it works perfectly again. I thought maybe temperature was the problem, so I chilled the magsafe 2 charger. But no success.

Any suggestions as to why my charger is travel sick???

Regards.

Novice74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2019
I would recommend buying a new AC charger to replace the one you currently have...

Thanks. I suspect the fact it is an 'unofficial' apple charger, which cost less than an official one, may indeed have something to do with it. Just strange how it works sometimes and not others.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Thanks. I suspect the fact it is an 'unofficial' apple charger, which cost less than an official one, may indeed have something to do with it. Just strange how it works sometimes and not others.
Are there any differences between the mains AC power in Russia and Spain? Modern chargers, whether OEM, legitimate 3rd party, or "back alley" no-name, will generally be designed (or claim to be) to work with a range of voltages (e.g. 110v-220v) and frequencies (50Hz-60Hz). If there is a difference between the AC in Russia and that is Spain then what you are experiencing is a charger that fails to properly adapt to Spain's while it succeeds with that in Russia. If so, a new well made charger may be the solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.