Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FallenAsh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
A funny story from not long ago:

The Magsafe adapters that Apple supply are slightly dangerous to say the least. On my mac, the adapter (A old T-Shape design) decided to stop working, and only worked when in a certain position. I've had this happen with loads of adapters in the past, but not one made by apple. I thought I'd wait it out and see what would happen. I was planning to get a replacement soon, but had a newer one on hand anyway, just not with the right voltage for my pro. It was a bad idea to still use it from the start, just surfing the interwebs as you do. When I had a look at the connector to the laptop. It was fine, apart from it melting. The connector was literally melting. I phoned apple straight away, arranged an appointment, took it in and walked out with a replacement. Great Apple service once again, despite their melting adapters.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The Magsafe adapters that Apple supply are slightly dangerous to say the least.
With the obvious exception of defective adapters, that's simply not true. The vast majority of these adapters never melt or have any problems whatsoever. If that weren't true, you would see thousands of news articles about millions of adapters being returned, and Apple would recall them.

FallenAsh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
With the obvious exception of defective adapters, that's simply not true. The vast majority of these adapters never melt or have any problems whatsoever. If that weren't true, you would see thousands of news articles about millions of adapters being returned, and Apple would recall them.

They did recall them, in the US I think. Not in the UK. Not sure about that though, they defo did a recall though. Just never had the time to return it if I could in the UK.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
They did recall them, in the US I think. Not in the UK. Not sure about that though, they defo did a recall though. Just never had the time to return it if I could in the UK.
Please link to source of that information.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Both links are formatted incorrectly, but that recall had to do with defective cords, not defective adapters. As I said in my first post: "With the obvious exception of defective adapters" it's simply not true that MagSafe adapters are dangerous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.