Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dszakal

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2020
Hello everyone,

Could any of you please confirm me answers to the following questions?

I understand it's discouraged to hold RFID passports, credit cards and key fobs next to the magsafe charger when it's charging an iPhone 12. Apple officially stated it.

I have some questions about further details.

Is it also unsafe to put credit cards, passports and key fobs in the same pocket as the iPhone 12 - when obviously not charging as it's in the pocket? Or is it safe?

In case of credit cards - is it only a hazard to the magnetic stripe, or also to the chip part, maybe even to the "contactless hardware"?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I’d like to know about this also, since I always put my phone and wallet in the same pocket. ?

spikeymike

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2010
CA
I asked a similar type of question regarding MagSafe with the silicone case in the accessories forum but didn’t really get any responses so I’m still wondering.

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I use a wallet case that has a cover that folds over the screen and I can put credit cards in it. I have two credit cards and my driver’s license in the three slots. No issues using either card but they are chip cards which I don’t believe are affected by demagnetization. I haven’t had to swipe a card for a long time so I have no idea if the strips work. Also the cards are facing the front of the iPhone and not near the back where the magnets are.

dszakal

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2020
At least we have some experiences.

Still waiting for more before buying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.