Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpearman2007

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Has anyone used a magsafe to USB c adapter? I have a few of the magsafe 2 chargers, and recently got a 13" MacBook pro at work, and now of course my old chargers that worked for the air don't work for this. If possible I'd like to avoid spending another ~$60 for a USB c wall charger and a USB c cable for my apartment so I don't have to take my one from work back and forth. Does anyone use a 30watt USB c charger with a 2016 MBP, or do most folks use a higher wattage one? Anker has some nice chargers with several USB 3.0 ports and one 30watt USB c port is why I ask.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I have a 60W Macally charger that has USB A ports as well, it's $50 at Amazon and includes a USB-C cable.. It works just fine charging my 2018 15" MBP. A 30 Watt should charge just fine, just a lot slower and may operate at the edge of its specs so may get a bit hot.

The also have a 60W one with Magsafe style cable for $50 on Amazon that looks promising:

https://us.macally.com/products/charger61

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.