Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
While searching on Amazon for MagSafe accessories I ran across this base and I received it today. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QZFTWYR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a thin metal base and it attaches well to a MagSafe case or directly to a 12 series iPhone. The strength of the magnet is strong, similar to the Apple MagSafe charging puck, maybe just a tad stronger. I attached a finger ring to it and a PopSocket. Both work well. I can open the PopSocket, which is new, and that doesn't cause the base to come off the iPhone. It is easy though to pull off the base. You won’t be able to hold your iPhone up by the ring or PopSocket and say walk around. But for extra grip while holding the phone or as a stand it works well. I think this is close to the best we will get using a grip with MagSafe. I can’t imagine a stronger connection as MagSafe just isn't designed for this IMO. I also wonder if PopSockets will ever release a solution beyond their Pop-Slide because MagSafe really doesn't seem to have strong enough magnets for a solid hold. I don’t know what their liability will be when people try to spin their phones holding the PopSocket or walking around and damaging their phones when it detaches. If anything I'm sure they will have a big disclaimer. Anyways, I give it a thumbs up and I'll be using mine. Here are some photos:
SDIM0586.jpeg
SDIM0587.jpeg
SDIM0589.jpeg
SDIM0582.jpeg
SDIM0584.jpeg
SDIM0593.jpeg
SDIM0597.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.