Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Graybeard7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I'm hoping I'm simply unlucky. 2021 16" MacBook Pro Max. After 5 weeks of otherwise happy ownership today I noticed my charging cord fraying at the MagSafe connector. Has anyone else encountered this issue. The MagSafe charging cord has not even left my house.

fray.jpg

Sitti

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2010
Good to know. I'll try not to pull up the cord. Try to pull up the connector.

Last edited:

bringel

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
These fraying cords seem to be a common problem with this poorly designed charging cord. I have a 2014 MB Pro that I noticed was starting to fray and I found an excellent solution, if you can apply it before any wires are exposed.
DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affiliated with the seller of this product and I receive no incentive from them.
This collar fits very snugly on the cable. It is very stretchy and takes some effort to expand it to fit over the connector.
1685026545533.jpeg

The web site where I ordered these is: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/sho...nes-and-tablets/76806-cordcollar?item=68K1010

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I'm hoping I'm simply unlucky. 2021 16" MacBook Pro Max. After 5 weeks of otherwise happy ownership today I noticed my charging cord fraying at the MagSafe connector. Has anyone else encountered this issue. The MagSafe charging cord has not even left my house.

View attachment 1938388

To be fair, that's the braiding around the cord that's fraying, not the actual cord itself. I've had my MBP since February and haven't had any issues with the exterior of my MagSafe cord.

dmccloud

macrumors 68040
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
These fraying cords seem to be a common problem with this poorly designed charging cord. I have a 2014 MB Pro that I noticed was starting to fray and I found an excellent solution, if you can apply it before any wires are exposed.
DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affiliated with the seller of this product and I receive no incentive from them.
This collar fits very snugly on the cable. It is very stretchy and takes some effort to expand it to fit over the connector.

Given that the 2014 MBP uses MagSafe 2 and the new Macs use MagSafe 3, you're not even comparing like products against each other.

Reactions: kitKAC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.