Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makeitrainnaren

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Hey guys. So I picked up a USB-C Multimeter that shows me wattage draw with various power bricks. I was concerned at first when I saw that initial reviewers showed that charging blocks were not pulling the right wattage for Magsafe. Some had brought up that blocks specifically had to support 9V-2.2Amp profiles. However, I have reasonable belief this is false. In terms of MacBook power bricks, anything other than the 96 Watt power block, but I've tried a few other wall block ones too. These include:

Anker Atom PD1 - 29 Watt (2019). It it Gan but not the new 20 watt model.
Apple 20 Watt.
Macbook 16" 96 Watt
RAVPower Pioneer 4 port 65 Watt (2 USB c x Usb A)

All these power blocks were drawing between 16-19 watts. Even with an efficiency loss, these do come close to the 15 watt charging. One more thing I noticed is that the magsafe throttles preemptively really fast. Even turning on the screen lowers the wattage a lot, and the charger limits itself quite a bit after 50%. However, I've been charging my phone at work mostly and I think it's starting to learn my habits. Peak input wired is a consistent 20 watts up until about 80%. Surprisingly, with the apple block, it seems to take longer to ramp up too compared to my super high watt blocks. Adaptors that support 9V 3.0 Amp output seem to consistently reach advertised speeds. It settles at about 9V 2.2 Amp for a 20 watt draw in ideal circumstances.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.