Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
On the advice of a Mobile Reviews Eh video, I picked up the Rhinoshield Grip Max with MagSafe for my 14 Pro. Pros of this grip are:
  • Big enough that you can spread the weight of the grip across multiple fingers
  • Acts as a solid stand in both portrait and landscape modes (with the AOD of the 14 Pro, the portrait stand is now super useful)
Cons of the grip:
  • Made entirely of cheap plastic, does not feel high quality
  • The grip uses two plastic strips to extend the grip portion from the base, they are stiff and I have to use two hands to extend the grip because if I use one hand the whole product simply pops off the back of the phone.
  • The strips easily slip out of alignment so instead of closing flat, it often only half closes and I have to readjust it back and forth until it collapses entirely
  • When fully extended the upper edge of the grip blocks the lower left of the camera in .5x and 1x modes
  • The alignment magnet isn't as strong as the main magnet, so it often pops out of alignment to one side or the other when using the phone one-handed
In all, I'm finding the cons outweigh the pros significantly. It's great as a stand and I might even keep it just for that purpose, but as a grip it leaves a lot to be desired.

I know PopSocket has a MagSafe version and it can also double as a landscape stand. Has anyone found any other quality MagSafe grips? For me the ideal MagSafe grip would have strong magnets, be easy to extend and collapse (but not collapse accidentally) and would also act as a stand in at least landscape but as a bonus in portrait as well. Share your finds here!

Reactions: masterxchief

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Came to see if there is a thread about this myself. Hopefully some people have used some decent ones.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
I’m going to return the Rhinoshield, it is just a subpar experience. I’ll pick up either a Popsocket with MagSafe or the Popwallet+ with MagSafe and will report back.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Picked up a Popsocket with magsafe tonight and already it’s so much better than the Rhinoshield. It’s also plastic but it doesn’t feel so cheap, it’s far thinner and more streamlined. The magnet is incredibly strong, not a single solitary worry that this will come off by accident. The button is very easy to extend and the whole grip doesn’t come off when I try to, and of course it slots back into place easily as well.

Also while the Rhinoshield spread the weight across more fingers, it felt awkward to shift my hand lower on the phone while using it. With the Popsocket it’s easy to readjust my hand position and which fingers I’m using to support the button. The whole thing is extremely thin so it won’t look out of place even on a minimalist case, whereas the Rhinoshield covered the entire back of the phone with protruding cheap plastic.

I never understood the appeal of Popsocket before because I could not imagine attaching something to the back of my phone or case with adhesive, but MagSafe makes this almost the perfect phone grip. All it’s really missing is portrait stand functionality, but I’ll live for the immeasurably better experience this provides otherwise.

Reactions: AE14 and cgluf

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
Picked up a Popsocket with magsafe tonight and already it’s so much better than the Rhinoshield. It’s also plastic but it doesn’t feel so cheap, it’s far thinner and more streamlined. The magnet is incredibly strong, not a single solitary worry that this will come off by accident. The button is very easy to extend and the whole grip doesn’t come off when I try to, and of course it slots back into place easily as well.

Also while the Rhinoshield spread the weight across more fingers, it felt awkward to shift my hand lower on the phone while using it. With the Popsocket it’s easy to readjust my hand position and which fingers I’m using to support the button. The whole thing is extremely thin so it won’t look out of place even on a minimalist case, whereas the Rhinoshield covered the entire back of the phone with protruding cheap plastic.

I never understood the appeal of Popsocket before because I could not imagine attaching something to the back of my phone or case with adhesive, but MagSafe makes this almost the perfect phone grip. All it’s really missing is portrait stand functionality, but I’ll live for the immeasurably better experience this provides otherwise.
I have looked at the pop socket but I begrudge paying £30 for a small bit of plastic.

Is it worth the price?

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
I have looked at the pop socket but I begrudge paying £30 for a small bit of plastic.

Is it worth the price?
If you need a grip and also want a convenient landscape stand, I’d say so. If you want to justify the purchase more, the pop wallet with MagSafe is by all accounts an excellent mobile wallet and grip and landscape stand. It does cost a little more but it has additional functionality. I already have a slim wallet plus I wanted to keep the phone as sleek as possible so I went with the regular MagSafe Popsocket.

Reactions: lyceumHQ

Bexx

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
UK
I’ve been looking for the perfect MagSafe grip for ages too! For quite some time now, I’ve been using a regular Popsocket stuck to a MagSafe base - got this before they released their own MagSafe accessory.

Funnily enough, I also tried the Rhinoshield grip last week and sent it back within minutes. I hated how enormous it was and that it blocked one of the lenses.

I also use a Loopy case when I’m out and about and really worried about dropping my phone. It doesn’t have MagSafe supper though, so I don’t like it as much.

There are some MagSafe wallets that have built in grips and stands if that might be of interest to you? There’s the popular Moft one (though magnet is weak as Mobile Reviews has noted) or the ESR halolock wallet which converts to a very sturdy stand.

I do wish some manufacturers made more products like this. There’s definitely a gap in the market.

B1D96741-A5BC-4C3C-9387-220E71F29E3C.jpeg

Reactions: Supermallet

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
I’ve been looking for the perfect MagSafe grip for ages too! For quite some time now, I’ve been using a regular Popsocket stuck to a MagSafe base - got this before they released their own MagSafe accessory.

Funnily enough, I also tried the Rhinoshield grip last week and sent it back within minutes. I hated how enormous it was and that it blocked one of the lenses.

I also use a Loopy case when I’m out and about and really worried about dropping my phone. It doesn’t have MagSafe supper though, so I don’t like it as much.

There are some MagSafe wallets that have built in grips and stands if that might be of interest to you? There’s the popular Moft one (though magnet is weak as Mobile Reviews has noted) or the ESR halolock wallet which converts to a very sturdy stand.

I do wish some manufacturers made more products like this. There’s definitely a gap in the market.

View attachment 2088623
I have seen a few cases with built in grips and I used to use a Loopy case myself. I found the usefulness of the Loopy decreased significantly once wireless charging was added. Wireless charging before MagSafe was already finicky because poor alignment could drastically affect your charging rates and heat dispersion, and the Loopy case all but guaranteed poor alignment. When MagSafe was introduced I swore off Loopy completely.

I have the same issue with current cases with built in back grips. Either they sacrifice MagSafe to achieve it or they add bulk/have a weird design. IMO this is such a slam dunk use case for MagSafe that I will not consider any other long term solution. :)

I do think the official Popsocket MagSafe is a very good product and is likely the best of what is out there. Feels very natural and easy to use.

Reactions: Bexx

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
If you need a grip and also want a convenient landscape stand, I’d say so. If you want to justify the purchase more, the pop wallet with MagSafe is by all accounts an excellent mobile wallet and grip and landscape stand. It does cost a little more but it has additional functionality. I already have a slim wallet plus I wanted to keep the phone as sleek as possible so I went with the regular MagSafe Popsocket.
TBH I don’t need a stand or wallet. I use Apple Pay 99% of the time so don’t actually take my cards out with me anymore.

I’m just torn between one like the popsocket and one with a loop like say the anker one.

Might order both and see which I prefer.

reeneebob

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2015
I have two of the MagSafe pop sockets. I had them custom made with my cats on them. I love them. And I use them without a case and it stays put and doesn’t come off at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnthroMatt

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs

I find pop socket makes a far better product. I have both the wallet in the regular grip, and a big fan of both.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
i got the CLCKR MagSafe Grip and Stand today. I also have the PopSockets Pop Grip. I like the Pop Grip for its great MagSafe strength and thinness, but holding my phone with it isn't to me secure or comfortable. i guess i don’t have the hand coordination or strength to hold the popsocket between my index and middle finger.

The CLCKR is comfortable to use. easy to open and fit fingers in. the base is a little thicker than the Pop Grip. the center strip area is slightly thicker but less than the popsocket. easily pocketable. MagSafe hold is good, not as strong as Pop Grip but good. i can adjust my hand inside the CLCKR without misaligning the base. I like it.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
here's another good choice. EWA MagOne. so far my favorite. quick to slide my finger in (after a few uses and the band stretched a bit), strong MagSafe connection and a great kickstand. also, it's very thin.

fastmax

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
I’ve heard good things about both of these grips by respected YouTube reviewers. A couple more options for you guys to check out.

Last edited:

fastmax

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Have not seen a video review for this one, but it looks like an interesting design as it seems to have a very strong magnet and the ability to use as a stand in both landscape and portrait. Has anyone here tried this?

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
I have used popsocket MagSafe for the 13 pro max and now for the 14 pro max. It’s great. Never falls off. I even use it with the little car dash stick on holder in my commercial truck on bush roads. Never falls off.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
i got the ohsnap grip 3 pro about a week ago.

i’ve had both prior versions and liked them but never used long term because they weren’t magsafe. my 1st impression when i got v3 is it’s cheap and flimsy. but to my surprise it is great. attaches via magsafe. quick and easy to open. thin. comfortable grip. i stick my left index finger through the center. good landscape stand, decent portrait stand. the best attribute for me is i don’t have to remove it to use other magsafe items. my apple battery attaches strongly and charges and so does my snap grip. i don’t have to ever remove it from my phone. i actually peeled off the cover and let it permanently affix to the back of my case. only time will tell if it doesn’t break. on prior versions they gave a lifetime warranty that they stood by because i broke one. i don’t see any warranty on these though. but i trust ohsnap to cover if i do run into a problem.

here’s a link to some videos showing how it works:

MagOnetech

Suspended
Oct 31, 2022
USA
here's another good choice. EWA MagOne. so far my favorite. quick to slide my finger in (after a few uses and the band stretched a bit), strong MagSafe connection and a great kickstand. also, it's very thin.

MagOne has an independent official website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.