Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Does anyone here have experience with getting their magsafe cord replaced? I have a mid-2009 13" MBP. The original T-shaped magsafe hasn't frayed or anything, but after 4 years I can only get it to intermittently charge, and sometimes the MBP won't recognize that it's connected. The light has been quirky for the last year. It also tends to get very hot near the magsafe connection and the brick. I just want to know if it's worth trying to get the free replacement. I had an authorized service place test it last year when I still had AppleCare to no avail. That store closed, and my closest option is an actual Apple Store. My AppleCare ran out almost a year ago, so I'd have to pay for any repairs. The Apple website says they will replace MagSafes that are out of warranty. Has anyone had one replaced that wasn't frayed?

Last edited:

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Check out eBay. I was in the same situation, 2009 Mac, cable wore out after almost 4 years of use. I found a legitimate Apple adapter brand new on there for £37 - Just the Brick which has the Laptop side Connector, not the AC extension. I then connected my own extension to the brick.

Worked out half the price of buying one from Apple and it is a legitimate Apple one.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Check out eBay. I was in the same situation, 2009 Mac, cable wore out after almost 4 years of use. I found a legitimate Apple adapter brand new on there for £37 - Just the Brick which has the Laptop side Connector, not the AC extension. I then connected my own extension to the brick.

Worked out half the price of buying one from Apple and it is a legitimate Apple one.

Just a tip.
Maybe it is a good idea to tell to the OP which seller it was since there are a lot of fakes on Ebay, PM would be better since naming people here on MR is not always a good idea.
Link is OK though.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
If he asks for it I'll be happy to post it. The seller has lots of them I actually bought two about 3 months apart.

EDIT:// It is a UK seller though.

happyfrappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Location eh?
Apple has typically been very good with power brick replacements if the wear of the cable isn't enough to blame on internal fraying. Keep in mind most Apple Stores will replace it with the 2010 "L" shape, it can be an issue if you use an older hard shell case(Speck, Incase, etc). Magsafe & pre-Magsafe, Genius Bar staff told me the more common problem was the slightly lower rated bricks given to 12"/13" PowerBook/MacBook/MacBook Pro were more prone to failure under multi-hour Photoshop/Illustrator load... luckly I always got the 15" charger as a replacement and never had failures since.

Instead of taking a risk on eBay which is often filled with more counterfeits than used ones, OWC often has bulk "surplus" Magsafe adapters in-stock at reasonable prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.